1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help figuring how much mulch vs. sq. footage please

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cut level, Sep 6, 2010.

1. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

I dont do mulch installation. I have always spun the mulch off too my best friend that does a good bit if mulch installation. I dont have time because I am not full time but I am a LEGIT tax paying, insurance carrying company.

My wife and I just remodeled my grandfathers home and I am going to lay out and measure my beds. How do I figure how much mulch I will need? Just regular ole black mulch. My buddy is still at the lake and cellphones dont work worth a crap at his place and a bulldozer cut his land line at his lake house this weekend doing some work for his neighbor. So I cant get a hold of him today. I am just trying to get a material price together today and decide on stones and plants. Thanks for yalls input.

I did a search and came up with a thread I read someone wrote 300 sq ft of bed = mulch 4 inches thick they would allow 3.5 yds. So thats about 1 yard per 85 sq ft I believe.
  2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

3. mikeslawnlandscapeohio

mikeslawnlandscapeohio LawnSite Member

You will need 4 yards.
  4. SuperPROlawnScalper

SuperPROlawnScalper LawnSite Member

as a resi concrete finisher i know that 81 sq ft of 4" concrete will need 1 cu yd
    we always use 80 as the number

4" thick - use 80
    8' x 10' = 80sq ft ----- 80/80 = 1 cu yd

2" thick - use 160
    8' x 10' = 80sq ft ----- 80/160 = .5 cu yd
  5. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I appreciate the help. 4 inches will prolly turn into 2-2.5 after rain and settling dont ya think?
  6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

it's simply thrid grade math. measure your square footage. then however deep you want it you need to convert those inches to feet. 3"= .25ft, 4"=.33ft, 6"=.5ft. now take that decimal and multiply it by your sq ft. that gives you cubic feet. divide your cubic feet by 27. that gives you the cubic yards. 3ftx3ftx3ft=27 cu ft or 1 cu yd.
  7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

or if you are like me............14 bags will cover 180 sf x 2" depth.
  8. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

sq. ft. x # of inches thick x .0032 will give you how many cubic yards of mulch you need.
  9. Manicured

Manicured LawnSite Member

1 yard of mulch covers 240 sq. ft. at a 1 inch depth
    1 yard of mulch covers 120 sq. ft. at a 2 inch depth
    1 yard of mulch covers 60 sq. ft. at a 4 inch depth
  10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Manicured, where did you come up with those numbers? 1 yd of mulch covers 324 sq ft at 1" thick.
    Posted via Mobile Device