Help finding 8-2 wire

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by emdoller, Feb 11, 2010.

1. emdoller

emdoller LawnSite Member

Hi,

I am looking to purchase 10 feet of 8-2 landscape wire because I have to move an already installed landscape light.

I have searched everywhere including local stores and unless you need 100' or more cant be found.

Any idea where I can buy just 10' of 8-2 landscape wire?

Ed

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. emdoller

emdoller LawnSite Member

using 2 pieces of 16-2 will not result in the same resistance, it will be quite a bit higher which is not what I want.

I could use two pieces of 10-2 but finding 10' of that is just as hard. Using 2 12-2 is close as well and I guess if I can't find 8-2 is what I will use.

Given that I'm running 10', 300W at ~12V here's what I think it looks like:

8G 0.15V drop
    10G 0.25V
    12G 0.4V
    14G 0.625

Using 2 wires will cut the voltage drop in half.

Ed

4. kootoomootoo

5. emdoller

emdoller LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

6. emdoller

emdoller LawnSite Member

Nice reply moron. If you don't know what your talking about, and obviously you don't, you shouldn't be offering up answers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kootoomootoo

8. emdoller

emdoller LawnSite Member

As expected another idiotic response. Thanks to another member if this forum I found what I needed. Use two 16-2... Know that's funny. How do you come up with that? Let me guess 8 x 2 = 16??
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Emdoller,

I am trying to understand why you need 8/2 for one landscape light? I have never seen a 300 watt fixture on the low volt side. What is the wattage of the lamp in the fixture you are moving and have you taken a voltage reading to see how much available voltage you have to work with currently. I am just saying because I rarely ever use any lamp over 35watts in any of my fixtures and you wouldn't need anything bigger than 12/2 really to simply add onto a fixture to move it. Your voltage drop is negligable at that distance and load.

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

300 watts at 12 volts is 25 amps Thats a lot for parallel 16's