Help finding tree availability

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TruSomethingOrOther, Jul 16, 2013.

1. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

Customer looking for a 2 inch Silver Maple. I've called every one I could think of, and what Google could assist me with, in the Rockford, Illinois region. Including Harvard.

Anyone in the northern Illinois or southern Wisconsin area know if anyone has them? Or places I could call?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

When travelling down I-39 through IL this Winter I noticed a huge grove of trees in pots along side the road... The majority looked like Maples and I suspected that they were in business, because there was quite a bit of new development along that part of the state...
    Hard to believe there are no Silver Maples available...

3. TruSomethingOrOther

I've called probably 15 + tree farms / nurseries. Everyone is telling me to steer of silver maples. Being told to get the autumn blaze instead.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

They are in my local wholesalers catalog in Massachusetts. .... I don't know if the produce them or buy them in.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

silver maples are some of the fastest growing maples and thusly tend to break up a little more easy in snow and ice

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

JD landscapes locally has a plant broker service. I've used them to locate stuff I couldn't find. Might try them there.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely true. They also tend to fork and become hazard trees when moisture accumulates in the crotch ... not always a good thing.

8. TruSomethingOrOther

I hate it when moisture accumulates in the crotch.

9. jlcrox2

jlcrox2 LawnSite Member

Autumn blaze is a silver/ red cross. Unless you trying to match others on site I would sell your customer on this one. The blaze has great fall color.