1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Finishing Flagstone Patio

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ohmylord, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Ohmylord

Ohmylord LawnSite Member

I built a flagstone patio (approx 15 x 20). It is built on a sand base. I'm planning to put patio furniture on it. I'm trying to decide what to use to fill the cracks. Most of them are 1-3". I'm not sure if I want sand because it is close to the pool.

Questions: If I use Sand will hit harden enough not to wash away? Or, should I use some kind of concrete or mortar mix? Should I put it down dry or wet?

Thanks for any advise.
  2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

If you want to use sand, do a google search for "polymeric sand"? Once you sweep it into the joints and spray it with water it hardens. I'm not sure if it can be used on big gaps though.
    Maybe start a thread in the hardscaping forum here on Lawnsite.
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mortar mix would be the best, mix it up and put it in a bag...I know they sell these bags at HD...it's like a icing bag and fill those cracks up...its almost like grouting tile.....good luck...
  4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

never mortar joints over a sand or dust base

only mortar joints over a concrete base

sand/dust base is flexible, mortar is not
  5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said, How about puting a loam mix in the cracks and adding some stepable herbs and such...
  6. Ohmylord

Ohmylord LawnSite Member

I was thinking about using stepables around the outside but I'm not sure about what to do towards the middle. Both the table and chairs have solid pedestals so nothing would grow under them and the chairs will probably get moved.
  7. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

You guys beat me to it on the stepables. I was just picking up some plants for my house and saw the stepables there. They are so cool. I just wish I had a place to put some. I'll be thinking of ways until I find some. :)

I just looked and there is a website for them. http://www.stepables.com Do an advanced search and you can select you need plants for shade or part shade and they will give you suggestions (many criteria to choose from). I think you might find something that will work and look very cool between your flagstones.

Good luck and post pics. I'd love to see it now and after you put some stepables in.