Help-first truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by NEWGUYRI, Jan 1, 2010.

1. NEWGUYRI

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

OK big problem.
    I am purchasing a first truck.
    Price Range: 6-12,000 $
    Brand: Open
    Year: Open
    Model: Open
    Miles: under 150k

I am just wondering what year would be best, and what specifically would be good for me, I was thinking Ford F-250.

2. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what you are going to do with it. Do you plan to install dump bed and haul mulch. I would say f350 if so. You can find a decent 2500 for around 10000 with say 80k miles. good luck search craigslist.

3. NEWGUYRI

Well, I do plan to do some mulch hauling, but I thought the F-250 would have plenty of power for that. Main use is pulling the trailer with stuff in signature.

4. Jpeg lawn maintenance

are you considering a dump insert or no ?

5. hondarancher4435

hondarancher4435 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a dodge ram 94-02 with a cummmins and don't look back. The truck will keep on running no matter what you throw at it. However if diesel is not an option then i would get a ford gasser. With the amount of money you have you can get basically anything you want. I just bought a 1996 dodge ram 2500 cummins 4x4 auto with 170,000mi for $5500 and the truck is great in mint condition and there are plenty of other deals just like it around.

6. DRBLawnBuster

DRBLawnBuster LawnSite Senior Member

a f-150 is plenty, but it is nice to have the f-250 sometimes

7. NEWGUYRI

Eventually.

8. Jpeg lawn maintenance

9. hondarancher4435

hondarancher4435 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe an f150 is ok for you but anyone who does things other than just having a mower in the bed or pulling one or two around is much better suited to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for heavy hauling and towing jobs.

10. motorscot

motorscot LawnSite Member

Try and go with a diesel if you can find one. Rule of thumb when buying used equipment: Buy the best, most well cared for, lowest mileage that you can afford.

In addition, I would rather buy a diesel with 175,000 miles on it if the owner had all of the service records since new and can show that it was maintained properly. A diesel will go 300,000 miles easy if cared for.

Also, you get better mileage, better towing, better hauling.

2500 series (3/4 ton) at minimum. Don't get into the ford vs chevy vs dodge debate. Find the best that you can and don't look back.

FWIW, Dodge and Ford probably have a better (and longer) record for diesel than Chevy. Dodge has been using the proven Cummins package for 20+ years IIRC.

Finally, a diesel can grow with your business and haul almost anything. Gas (in 2500/3500 3/4 or 1 ton) do okay, at the expense of more wear and tear and worse mileage. A diesel can pull 10,000 lbs at 65 mph on the interstate at 2200 rpm and never downshift to go up a hill. A gas will do it at 3500+ rpm and then downshift to 4500+ to make the hill. It's all about the low end torque.

Good luck.