Help fixing lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jriv9, Apr 22, 2014.

1. jriv9

jriv9 LawnSite Member

I've been striking out getting any "pro" info locally on what's goin on with my grass. I first had patches of clover last fall that i killed off and patched in with new seed (notice the brighter grass color). I believe i may have accidentally scalped it as well... my mower deck was at it's highest setting. I have since rebuilt the deck and aligned it (the prev owner had it all out of whack).

Any tips that you can help with?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B06D7zFENxZnYW9pN0ljX3EtU1U/edit?pli=1

2. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Subbing to find out

3. gardiner

gardiner LawnSite Member

To me it looks like the light colored grass is only a week or 2 old . I would give it more time to mature

4. jriv9

jriv9 LawnSite Member

I actually patched that last fall, it germinated and began sprouting. I saw the color was off, and thought the same thing; It's just young grass. However, it's still that way this Spring. Is there a type of fescue that is lighter in color?

5. jriv9

jriv9 LawnSite Member

Mystery solved... i called the seed manufacturer who supplied the feed supply store i got it from. They show an order for a different mix. So the feed supply gave me the wrong seed!

So i'll repatch those with fescue and fight to get the seed replaced (fingers crossed).

But what about the rest of the grass?
    It doesn't seem to be growing and it was new sod.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Possibly the new grass is a mixture containing perennial ryegrass. The medium quality types are lighter green. Or--maybe it is annual ryegrass--usually very light green. Fine in the fall--but neither type stands up to heat.

You want a top-quality turf type tall fescue. Make sure no ryegrass is in the mixture. It should contain about 15 percent Kentucky bluegrass (which gives it better recovery ability).

Be sure to irrigate according to the weather. Dry grass will not be thick by the end of the year.

7. jriv9

jriv9 LawnSite Member

Yeah, i've confirmed that it's the following mix that the feed company mistakenly sold me:
    50% Falcon IV,
    20% Perennial Ryegrass,
    20% Annual Ryegrass,
    10% Creeping Red Fescue

Is it better to just do it over or overseed with a pure fescue mix (in the fall of course)?

Will the Rye continually come back and/or compete or inhibit the fescue's growth now that it's been sowed?