1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help for 2004 spring season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutpro2004, Nov 21, 2003.

1. cutpro2004

cutpro2004 LawnSite Member

im new to lawn site and am very excited about alot of the posts that iv read thus far. im new in this business i did a few lawns this year but not very many, i would appreciate any and all help i can get on starting fresh from scratch im treating 2004 as my first year. i plan on going at it hard i really enjoy this work and love the freedom of having my own business. for ex: i cut one yard that took me about an hour and a half to cut i charged the lady by the hour at the rate of 14$ DOLLARS, i have read quite a few posts and i know this is ridiculously low, what would you guys charge for that type of yard i was using a 21" mower. also during the fall of last year i did a big yard of leaves took about 24 hours
    about 3 days of work i charged 15$ an hour got 360$ for the job ive thought about charging by the bag of leaves any where from 3$ to 5$ a bag. what do you guys that have done this for a while do. i really would appreciate ant help i can get in these matters, also any help about insurance,equip, and grass cut pricing would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for help!:waving:
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It's easy to for anyone here to say you're working WAY TOO CHEAP, but what you charge depends on many things.

-What's the going rate in your area?

-What do you feel your production rate is like? Took you 1 1/2 hr. on your example. Do you feel you did it as fast as it's possible to do it? Could you get it done in an hour or less if it was was of at least 10 or 12 or more lawns you had to do in one day?

-Your equipment, is it up to date and reliable. Is it fast enough/large enough to allow you to do lawns at least as fast as you competition?

-Besides time ON the lawn, how long does it take you to get to and from this lawn.

If you are as proficient and as fast as your competition, what are they charging for the same type lawn?
    If it takes you twice as long or longer to do a yard than your competition, you can't charge by your hourly time involved. Unless you keep your hourly rate low like it is now. But I think that's too low.

If you're going to do this, do it as a business. With that in mind, you have to first figure out what your cost of doing business is. Then add in a profit %, then you'll know how much to charge to be able to even have your business pay for its own way.

I suggest that you read every forum and every post on this entire site, Esp threads by Eric Elm, whether you think it applies to you or not. There is an education to be found here. Check for and read every Green Industry related site you can find on the internet, absorb as much as you can.

May I suggest also, that when you post a question, do it with a specific question, not the shotgun type. You'll get more responses that way. Also, use the search function, many subjects have amazing threads already in existence. All in all, there's so much reading it'll make your brain ooze if you can retain it all.

Best wishes
  3. cutpro2004

cutpro2004 LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply rustic appreciate that thats what iv been doing and plan to continue doing sponging up every bit of info i can before spring next year. as far as the comp around here they are kinda tight lipped about pricing but i have heard of guys getting 500$ for big lots not sure how big though. my main concern is pricing res and commercial dont want to start to low on my pricing just want to start off right and get business off ground. thanks again
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

i run a 21" mower, a string echo 260 trimmer, and a homelite backpack blower. my rates start at 50 an hour. I can normally drive to, and cut two yards in an hour. Not bad. tree trimming starts at about 100 an hour with an echo cs 300. but i rock climb, so i get around in the trees pretty fast. hedge trimming starts at 50 flat, no matter what. flower beds (pulling weeds) is about 100 an hour. But i work fast, very fast. Next year im raising my r ates because i will be MORE productive with better equipment. just learn how this game works, and how to manipulate it, and you'll stay on top.
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Get someone to call up several competitors and get bids for a lawn. Compare to what you think you ought to charge.

Or, if there's anyone you know being serviced by a competitor, and you think they'll be truthful, ask them what they're paying.

This goes on a lot.