help for a newby

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jrmyj, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jrmyj

jrmyj LawnSite Member

ive search this site and cant find were. i am new to the industry and know that our customers are going to ask for a quote on fertalizing. i dont have the first clue what to put on the lawns or what to charge. does anyone know where i can find this info or if someone can give me adivce. thanks

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Oh Boy! I would take this advice. Find a Lesco and ask them. But before you do that, delete this thread. Here comes the wrath, watch out!
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with wski4fun thats solid info
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Now.....we'll take it easy on him won't we?

No...seriously man, you probably shouldn't mess with it. I would hire someone or sub it out.

I would learn as much as possible before attempting to do it yourself!

Remember you can put down fert without a license...but if it contains ANY pesticide (insecticide, herbicide etc) you will need a LICENSE!
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That was a very civil, professional and grown up answer rcreech...I am proud of bad there are not more like you on Lawnsite!! I take it you weren't born with a pesticide license!!

To the OP, even though I know how to spread fertilizer I have chosen to sub this work out myself as if you can only spread fert why even bother...what do you do if your customer has weeds? Best thing to do is study for your pesticide license so that you have the knowledge to apply chemicals correctly.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Trust me....I havn't always been this way!

I am just trying to turn over a new leaf! :laugh:

I respect those who want to start applying...but just hope they take the appropriate actions before they do so!
  7. jrmyj

jrmyj LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice guys. i hate asking dumb questions but i want to learn as much as i can to be more versitile. ill sub it this year and start it next. thanks again.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

work on your own lawn, follow the label, maybe work parttime for someone to learn how and what to mix, what to apply where you live etc. Keep in mind that if you f-up it can cost you big...
  9. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW i never got this kind of break :laugh:
  10. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Sound advice and glad to see he hasn't been buried yet. Subbing out can be a great way to go. Have them give you a price and then give your customer your price. There is a lot to know about the fert and squirt let alone the legality issues. I have found that many times the fert guys are much cheaper then what I can do it for and they do it better.