Help for new startup?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Oldman50s, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Oldman50s

Oldman50s LawnSite Member

I am new to the forum, don't know much about posting yet. I was layed off from my job of 15yrs working in the hydraulics field, the job was eliminated and the plant is going to close. This year I would like to do some residential mowing in my area. I also have about 1 and 1/2 acres of my own land that I mow with varying flat and hill. I currently mow with a snapper 36" WB and honda 21" for trim. I want to invest in a ZT this year. What do you think of the new z-force cubs for this type of work. Has anyone heard of or had any experience with these mowers? Also I would like to get insurance and start out right. What type and amount of insurance is right for this, what other things do I need to check out? Thanks in advance for replies.

2. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about the mower. With insurance, mine was the same cost wether I got 250,000 or 1,000,000, so check that out. The first time when I checked prices the guy said $350 for a 1,000,000 coverage and when I call back to set it up, another guy said $350 for 250,000. When I called him on it he said $350 was the minimum fee yearly and gave me the million coverage. Just check around is my point.

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Wildlake, can you give me the number to your insurance agent. I just got 2 quotes of 1500.00 + for 1 mil coverage.
    Thanks in advance.

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

1500.00 holy crap man thats high

5. StBalor

Thats what i thought too.

6. WildLake

It was $350 when I started a while back and for this past year I believe it is up to $450. When I started, the big companies wanted me to have coverage for min. two years prior to them insuring me. I ended up getting the coverage through a broker. The insurance company is called Frederick Mutual Something. They include lots of other goodies too. Will probably up everything due to other types of work I'm doing.

7. WildLake

800 544 8737

8. NewkirkPropertyManagement

NewkirkPropertyManagement LawnSite Member

Oldman50s,

I go through a local Indiana Farmers Mutual agent (not sure if there is a National or Ohio farmers mutual) and I pay a little over $400 for $1,000,000 coverage, workman's comp., etc. Now, liability insurance is usually the most any clients will require you to have, but what gets tricky is how to cover your truck and trailer.

I am a recent start-up too, and I just found out recently that because of the nature of my business (mostly commercial) and the size of my trailer (82" x 20') I am in need of a commercial auto policy. If an accident were to occur involving truck & trailer during business use, a personal policy would not cover it, or the medical bills incurred during the accident.

My agent said that I'll be paying around $600 to $800 - maybe a shade more - in addition to the $400 for Liability. Good thing is that you can then take these items off of your personal policy, and, at least in my case, I was paying more to cover them under a personal policy than I will be with the commercial.

Hope this helps. Good choice going safe & legal from the get go. :clapping:

9. StBalor

544 number, is that in severna park maryland. if so i am near there. my home phone starts with 544.

10. Oldman50s

Oldman50s LawnSite Member

NewKirkPropertyManagement:

Thanks for the reply:) Concerning the Truck and equipment I have a commercial policy that covers snowplowing I do as sub for a local lawn service, don't know if it will cover the mowing and equipment though. One reason I asked about the insurance, I got a reply from my ad by commercial property owner to do his mowing, didn't expect any commercial responses, anyway I told them up front that I couldn't bid because I didn't have insurance yet and I didn't want to mislead them. My interest is more in residential work as I'm not up to bidding commercial. Am also looking to sub mowing for the landscaper I do the plowing for so I guess it would be wise to have the insurance for that also. Anyway thanks for the reply!