Help For Next Season

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kid With A Mower, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if this is where this belongs. Anyway, I kinda already own a business. Well I mow a few people in my neighborhood. Next Season I hope to expand, get a used truck, trailer, maybe a better mower. I was thinking of a business lone co-signed by my parents. How would you go about doing this, and keep in mind that I currently an only 15. How many customers would you recommend trying to attain so it's not overwhelming but yet you're still able to turn a profit? What brand/model mower would you recommend? How would you go about advertising? Thanks in advance.

-Ben

2. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

if i were u i would throw out the business loan, keep trying to get your name out there and the clients will come. flyers worked best for me, and always word of mouth. also let everyone know what you do and what your all about.

3. FoxLawnCare

FoxLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yeah I wouldn't do a Business loan

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Get commercial equipment whatever has the best dealer in your area

5. IndustrialGreen

IndustrialGreen LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Mowing is one of the few businesses left where you can still bootstrap, meaning you can haul up the business as you go, without a debt load. As you improve your equipment, you can do more work in less time, and make more money. Concentrate on equipment that increases speed, and doesn't break. That means commercial equipment. The best first "pro" mower if you are doing residentials is a small walk behind( 34") If fitting through gates isn't something you have much of, then go larger. When your schedule is full, go to a ZTR and add more accounts.

The point is, buy your equipment up front, as you go, so you aren't working for a bank. If you are hard working, effecient, and market well, the equipment will follow. And remember, interest never sleeps.

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay as close to debt free as you can. Even if it means squeezing as much work out of homeowner equipment that you can for right now. You are still young and can upgrade as you have demand and cash to do so. I know there are a lot of people on here that are all for making payments on mowers and other equipment.

I couldnt disagree more. I just bought a new tractor in april and payed cash for it. I have the work to easily make payments on it and have plenty left over, but now I dont have to worry about turning enough work in one month just to make a payment. I dont have to sweat in the slow months in the offseason. It can sit and It is not eating anything.

7. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

Ok, thanks for the input guys. Now that I think about it it seems kinda dumb. When is the best time to start putting out flyer's, and where do you leave them? How about T-shirts, is that a good marketing media, if so where could I get it done? I do have a 15 year old metro 36'', but I would like to get something better. I like the ECS feature of the new Exmarks, so I was looking at the Viking 48". any comments on hydraulic drive vs. belt, or any other recommendations? Thanks for the help.

-Ben