1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help for steep mowing

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pato, Apr 3, 2005.

1. pato

pato LawnSite Member

Im a new guy on the block. I have about 4+ acres to mow.I had a Scott 1642 to do the around the house and road with and its getting very tired.I mow the rest with a 4wd farm tractor and a cheap finish mower.The mower has been repaired a number of times its about shot. Some of the acrerage is very steep and I only mow it up and down.My question is .Is this doable with a ztr.Since my equipment is shot,what can I get to replace both.That is witout killing myself. Thanks in advance Pat.
  2. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

well it depends on how steel of a grade it is, if you are able to take a 4wd CUT up and down it then I dont see why you cant take a decient ZTR up and down it
  3. pato

pato LawnSite Member

Thanks for responding.Its pretty steep about a 50 degree slope.I only do it when its dry.The main reason why im asking is it takes so long to cut and I have to change macines.It tie ups my tractor, keeping the mower on it.I have looked at some mowers (exmark,Grasshopper,Great Dane),but I am not knowlegeable enough yet to make a decision.The dealer with the Dane has offered to test the machine on my property when the weather dries up.Im going to take him up on that,even though many people on this site have panned the Dane since Deere has taken over.Again Im the kind of guy that needs a lot of input from experienced others before I move. Thanks again Pat
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

5. pato

pato LawnSite Member

Thanks Mudstopper.I wish!!!!.A dealer in Asheville gave me a quote for over 18K which was supposed to be a good price for a Ventrac with duallys. I just cant afford that.I looked at a Grass Hopper 227 27hp kohler,61" deck seems as good as any.Im looking for advice. Besides the sales men who say it can do it. Thanks Pat
  6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You may try jumping to a frontmount GH. You can get hydrolic deck lift that raises the deck and puts more weight to the drive wheels if you begin to lose traction. I just sit there and tap mine on REALLY steep areas. It also helps gain traction if you ever get stuck.
  7. pato

pato LawnSite Member

Thanks PLM-1: Yes the 722D sure looked sweet at the dealer.It got all those boyhood juices flowing.The price would put me on the extreme edge of my budget.My wife said(sigh) if thats what you want get it. But seriously it has a lot of pluses. I guess I just have to give myself permission to do that.It might be overkill,but im not getting any younger.It sure as hell takes me a lot longer to do things.The 722D would make things a lot easier.Thanks again Pat
  8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know the website. I do know the name of the machine is KUT-KWICk
  10. pato

pato LawnSite Member

Thank You: Critical Care, iluvscag. I guess I have not explained my sit uation too well.I have 4+ acres to cut.Less than 1/4 of the total is really steep.The rest is gentle sloping pasture and small hills,and trails,terraces,house site,road etc.I was considering my purchase max to be about 9K.I would like to some of those marvels you have suggested so far.I simply cant afford or justify them.I have looked at Dane lx,Exmark 27/61 kaw,Deere 757,GH 227 27/61 kohler.Am I barking up the wrong tree?? If so please tell me.If not which of these machines will or wont do the job??Or other preferences within my price range. Thanks Again.Pat
    ps Or maybe just get a Woods finish mower,and a Simplicity with differential lock.