Help For Trailer!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by APV's Mowing, Dec 24, 2007.

1. APV's Mowing

APV's Mowing LawnSite Member

This comming up summer will be my second year in the business, and I have been working out of the bed of my 2007 Nissan Frontier. I am looking for a trailer for this comming up summer, and i dont know much about them, price, what size to get, and what kind of sides, accessories, ect. i should get for it.
    I will need room for 2 21" toro trim mowers, and a 32-36" WB Scagg this year, and room for an additional 32" or 36" Scagg WB or Rider in the future. I will be putting a truck box in the bed, and will be putting my trimmers, and blowers in the bed of the pickup. So i guess im asking, How big of a traiter should i get, what something like that would cost, and any other suggestions would be great!

2. mg10117

mg10117 LawnSite Member

Go as big as you can afford...trust me...dont make the mistake i did, or you will be upgrading to a bigger trailer the following year and wasting a lot of money...get at the least a 6X12...I'm not sure, but they go for around $1,100-$1,200 around here...as your business grows you will fill it up really quick...if you can afford go bigger...good luck

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

next time ask the question in place. 6x12 will work

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

6x12 or a 6x14

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You really do want 6x12 or 6x14.

Weight is your biggest issue, my 6x12x2 weighs at least 1,500 pounds empty.
    Add a few 2 cyclers and a mower and I'm over a ton, it may not sound like a big deal but it is, double axles are even heavier.

Not sure what that truck is rated at, but I will never use less than a 3/4 ton to pull my 6x12 single axle and even then it's a bit rough on the tranny.

But a nice 6x12 with sides, $1500 ttirl and all.
    You can get them for less, but having sides are nice for hauling (dirt, mulch, leaves, etc) plus with higher sides there's no law concerning securing the equipment (I just set the brake and go).

Up to you but I'd splurge, they last at least 8 years but really 10-12 years easy.
    I would highly recommend new, with 1 year warranty, more so if you've never owned one but even later.

Here's a pic of mine (except this one is smaller 5x8 but notice the sides):

singlels2.jpg

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

A 6x12 trailer will handle all of that equipment very easily. As far as price, it really depends on your area. You can find used trailers like that all day long around here for $600-$800. Have you thought of getting a trailer with an expanded metal box already on it instead of adding a tool box to the floor? Saves a lot of floor space. This may be a silly question but have you ever pulled or backed a trailer before? It's not very difficult but there is a learning curve to it.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If you stay with 36" width max on the mowers, a 5' wide single axle trailer will do. If you later change your mind up to a 48" mower, or even a 52" deck, that width of trailer will still do. You can even get a 54" on but it is tight. When you go rider you will have to be careful not to exceed GVW for the trailer.

5 x12 will save you fuel over a 6 x 12, especially a tandem axle.

8. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Like others said don't get anything smaller than a 6/12 trailer.

9. APV's Mowing

APV's Mowing LawnSite Member

thank you for all of your replys, ill start looking at a 6x8 or 6x12, and to answer your question Tadums yes i have pulled a trailer, and no i have not backed one up before, but i plan on spending alot of time practiceing backing it up ect., so from everything that u guys have said, its going to be around 1,000-2,000 new depending on the bells and whistles i get, and i dont plan on buying used.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Their is nothing wrong with buying used if you know what your looking at and know what to look for.