HELP from any experienced FERRIS ZTR users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wolfman, Mar 16, 2005.

1. wolfman

wolfman LawnSite Member

I’m considering the New IS 1500Z (52 inch/25 kaw) - test drove the 48” on real rough ground and seemed to be real smooth with the suspension but wonder if there are any drawbacks to the suspension or anything else about this mower – since it is a brand new model???

1.) How long have you run Ferris ZTRs with suspension?

2.) Has anybody seen or heard anything about as the supension starts to age - then when you hit dips the deck will scalp worse than non-supension ZTRs?

3.) If so about how long before you have to replace shocks, springs, bushings, etc.?

4.) Also does anybody know what kind of pumps and motors the 1500 uses?
    (I met the FERRIS rep at the dealer - he said the pumps were Hydro Gear? I think? And the motors - he wasn’t sure?)
    How have these held up?

5.) What about the spindles? The rep also told me that the spindles even though aluminum type with ball bearing HELD up better than SCAG’s cast iron tapered roller bearing spindles DURING their torturing spindle TEST?

… also told me that if you hit say a water meter – that it is better to have the aluminum type because they are less likely to damage the shaft like the cast iron type spindles?

6.) The FERRIS 1500z uses a 150 ft/ lb clutch while the Scag Cub uses a 250 ft/lb clutch – does that make a big difference?

Thanks for your time

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search and also look at the Ferris web site. Go to the specs section and you should find the hydro info. Their Wb's use Eaton hydros. The springs are adjustable to if they start to wear I'm sure you could tighten them up a bit. The decks are floating so scalping should be minimal as any other mower.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The 1500 uses Hydrogear wheel motors. I wouldn't worry a lot about the clutch being smaller. It probibly wouldn't last as long as a larger clutch like Scag uses but if the 150 ft lb clutch wasn't good then Ferris wouldn't be using it. The suspension helps to reduce scalping because the deck is mounted to a-arms which are mounted to the suspension so it will scalp a lot less than other mowers without suspension. Hope that helps.

4. wolfman

wolfman LawnSite Member

Thanks to all that responded so quickly – and congratulations to you Travis with your new 3000!

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT TRAVIS about the deck scalping less – I REALIZE THAT IS THE CONCEPT THAT Ferris is using to sell their product

…but when the REP. Demoed in front of me and dealer he spun around real quick on the 1500 and stopped real quick and said “ notice how the suspension gave but the deck didn’t move” BOTH the dealer and I THOUGHT THAT THE DECK MOVED RIGHT ALONG WITH IT – BUT I TOLD THE rep NOT SURE WHAT THAT SAME DEMO with a non-suspension ZTR WOULD LOOK LIKE?

The guy that mentioned to me that as FERRIS suspension wears it will start to scalp turf - has been a SCAG, ECHO, TROYBUILT FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS – so I guess it is possible that he is just wanting me to BUY THE SCAG. That 250 ft/lb. clutch on the SCAG is pretty impressive and so is the thickness of the steel on that tank - but if those 2 things are over kill then I DON’T WANT TO PAY THE EXTRA.

Travis have you had quite a bit of HANDS ON WITH THESE FERRIS ZTRs?

Are those Hydrogear pumps and wheel motors holding up as well as the others out there?

Thanks again

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The only experience that i've had with ferris was about 10 minutes driving full speed over the dealers rough lot. I've never mowed with one I did notice going over all those bumps the deck didn't seem to bounce. I can't wait until the grass starts growing to try it out. :blob3:

About the pumps and wheel motors. Just about every ztr on the market uses Hydro gear pumps. I can't think of a single ztr that uses another brand of pump so Hydro gear is clearly the industry leader in pumps but there aren't a lot of mowers with hydro gear motors. Most mowers use parker or Ross motors but i'm sure the hydro gear motors are some of the best out there. Hope that helps.

6. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

I just bought two of them last Friday. I can't tell you much about the suspension but with one of mine I have had it back in the shop twice. First time one of drive belts fell off and just today the blade belt fell off. The mechanic said he thought something was wrong with the clutch bracket. He is calling ferris on monday to see if they have any insight to why this is going on. The other one is fine. Used it just as much but nothing has happened. I was sceptical as well since they are new and should I spend more to go with my usual 1000z but I took the chance and for the most part very happy.

7. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

Just saw the new IS 1500 at a dealer show and it looks to be quite a bit less mower than their bigger machines. They really cut corners to make it a lower price. Smaller wheels, different wheel motors/pumps, lighter frame, etc..

You have to cut corners to lower the price..it's just the way things work

8. shaltac

shaltac LawnSite Member

Well if this helps any... Just bought a used Ferris IS3000 with the tilt frame like the 1500 (and a 23HPKawasaki engine). ~1350 comercial hours on it. The deck doesn't seem to scalp on any of my hills or rather large bumps. All I did was change the fluids and filters, and it mows / moves / runs fine at this age. No play in any of the spindles- etc, etc, etc. I'm now using it for my personal property, but it's completely workable at this age.