help from ohio boys

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by James Cormier, Feb 3, 2005.

1. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

hey, Im coming out to ohio on july 24-26 on my motorcycle, I am looking for places to stay while I am out there, I need to be no further than 60-70 min from lexington. Right now I have narrowed my stay down to these 2 hotels.

Holiday Inn
    upper gilchrist rd
    Mt Vernon

Comfort Inn
    Glenn rd

anyone from these areas? or have knowledge about these areas. I just go them off my streets and trips program. I dont mind spending money to stay at a nice place, dont want cheep hotels.

Any help?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Jim, I don't know about that particular Holiday Inn, but as a road veteran, Holiday Inn is my first choice of the "affordable" hotels. That Mt. Vernon location is a Holiday Inn Express, so you should be a real smart cookie in the morning! :D

Really though, the HI Express' are nice, because for the most part, they are all fairly new. You also get free eats in the morning. The one disadvantage to the Express vs. the full service holiday inn is that there won't be a restaurant/bar at the hotel. Most locations, there is stuff nearby, or they've already teamed up with a Chilli's, Damon's, etc. right in the same parking lot.

BTW, the Mt. Vernon is a "Excellent Quality Performer" in the Holiday Inn book, so I would guess you'd be alright. It has an indoor pool and hot tub too. :drinkup: When you call for your reservation, ask for the "great rate". If that doesn't do anything for you, let me know, I'll let you use my Priority Club number which should give you a discounted rate.

I avoid Comfort Inn if possible. Hampton Inn would be my 2nd choice.
  3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I've never personally been to either place. I do know Millersburg is a big Amish area, fairly rural. I would assume Mt. Vernon is also quite small, but I can't say for sure. If you don't mind coming out to the edge of your limits, Canton is a pretty nice place to stay. Mapquest shows 72 miles from Canton to Lexington. There are tons of hotels to chose from, and the sky's the limit on choosing a place to eat. You might even run into a Lawnsite member or 2 out this way. :waving:
  4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I went to school in Wooster just north of millersburg. It was about 45 min from lexington/mansfield area to wooster going 71 and across 30. Coming from millersburg to lexington would take you longer than you plan. It is rural with a lot of turns and hill, stop signs, and little nothing towns. You will probably get caught behind a horse and buggy or a pack of amish walking on the road. I would count that one out.
    Depending on your direction, you could stay on the north end of columbus and easily make good time striaght up 71. about 50-60 min.
  5. James Cormier

from Ma

Well how do you like that, a guy from NH giving advise to where to stay in Ohio, and fast too...Good job monster, you know your hotels...thanks for that info. The holiday Inn sounds like a good choice.

Mustang, I chose these areas just from looking at a map on which way Im coming into the state. I am trying to stay as rural as possible, I figure canton would be a tourist trap with the hall of fame and everything.

There are some guys in here ( lawnsite ) Im hoping to hook up with, but my reason for this trip is to attend the ama motorcycle races at Mid Ohio Sports Car course on the 25th.

any more advise or help is welcome

6. James Cormier

from Ma

Kickin' I will be on this, so Im looking forward to the turns and hills. :p

photos 224.jpg
  7. kickin sum grass

nice ride. That area will be good for a cruise. Just watch popping over top a hill to fast. horse and buggys and bikes don't mix well. :) Millersburg might be a good place to stay. I have only passed thru it once and don't remember what all is there. Maybe give yourself a few extra minutes to get to mid ohio.
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

James-are you sure there is not anything at that exit?I have been there several times for the champ cars and a couple of bowling events and I thought there was something decent right there.
  9. kickin sum grass

Sorry James, I should have looked closer. I was thinking you were comig from the south.
    Check into wooster. It is a nice little town. there use to be a best western on the corner of 30 and 250 (might be another road name if it is in city limits). I lived in wooster for 2 years. There is a good little restaurant in Apple creek just out 250. amish cookin. just watch the state patrol office. :realmad:
  10. Kev's Lawncare

Kev's Lawncare LawnSite Member

There's a hotel at I71-St Rt 97 , 6 minutes to Lex
    2-3 newer ones at I71 - St rt 13, 10 minutes to lex.
    1 - I71 - st rt 95 30 minutes
    bunches here in Marion 35- 40 minutes