Help from the "Big Guys"

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Dec 6, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

This is for all of you who do the big commercial lots. I eventually plan on getting more trucks, and taking on some big accounts. How do you guys charge for a place like say a Best Buy or something... or a hospital? We get about 35-40" of snow per year here. Do you go with a monthly contract, or a per plow? Thanks!

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Seasonal contract price. Salt extra.

And we tag 1 pick-up and 1 loader w/snowpusher per site. (Big sites may have 2 teams)
  3. let it snow

let it snow LawnSite Member
    from chicago

Well dont know if this will help but i do alot of walgreens stores and i have contracts with them from 11-01-00 to 3-31-01 and some stores will give a cash pay out thats nice :eek:) and some stores i just send the bill in and it takes 30 days to get paid on but but i go by how hard the lot is and where the snow has to go some stores go from 125.00 to 250.00 per push 2-4 inches
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I would get a seasonal contract on a big one,preffeably a 2 yr at the minimum.You'll be better off with a loader/pusher than any more trucks.Get jobs back to back so you can drive the loader to the next jobsite.
  5. Guest

On our large sites we have one Loader with pusher and a one ton dump with plow and sander on site, depending upon how many walks we will also have shoveler crews on site. I would never go with anything other than seasonal contracts for a large site and if you have to make any investment in equipement for the site then make sure that it is a multi-year contract we run most of our large sites for at least 3 years and some as long as 5 years. Just MY Two cents
  6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Seasonal Contract.

Another thing if you are going to get a big lot, and use a snow pusher one of the fast methods of clearing a lot. I would ask the company for a 1-3 year contract. You are going to shell out a lot more cash up fron then opperating with a truck or two. You will need to buy a pusher, lease or buy a loader, higher insurance ( I would want a higher liablity coverage for a large lot compared to what you are doing now), the list goes on and on.

Another reason why I would want a 1-3 contract on your first big lot, because you are just getting started. If you don't get the lot next year, and can't find another one to take it's place, you have a pusher with no where to go. This way with a 3 year contract you get a good profit off that pusher, and by then you have hopefully gained a foothold in the big lot market.

Equipment wise.

The loader w/pusher
    1 ton truck with plow and sander. Just remember if you have something like an F 550 you can use a bigger sander.

7. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I was in the same position your're in right now two months ago, property magagemet co we deal with asked us to bid some plazas, max a pickup could do, one was two big I didn't even bid it. My contact(maintance guy)that was contact person said they were "all inclusive contract"meaning shoveling walks, plowing lots ice control on both. I was confused because their was also a price per ton for salt? After I submited the bid I found out salt was not to be include in price, I was told I was the higest by far(1 property by $ 10,000), They went with the lowest bidder, the guy is a crook, I know I bought a truck from him. I figure he's lowballing the plowing & adding extra salt that's never used or salting constantly. Now I know.
    Sucks they were two year contracts, the way contact was talking they wern't even up for bid, I already had them. O'well I know now learning from experience, each contract is different.
  8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

I did the same thing earlier this year. I wasn't sure how to bid commercial and ended up 21/2 times higher than the winning bidder. It's always easier to come down ( if you get the chance) than it is to increase your bid. This all worked out for the best and hope to bid it next year. I will be prepared this time...................
  9. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Eventually, it catch's up with the crooks. Always does. Stay honest. It's easier to look in the mirror that way.

Don't lie, and you never have to remember what you said.

Stay on this forum and associate with honest, hardworking, intelligent plowers. We like you that way, even if the crooks do get some of the work at times.
  10. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

John, this guy is the largest plowing contractor around, I see his pushers all over, drove by his shop yesterday, on way to pick up my fianece from work, his salt bin looks like it holds maybe 50 yard at most,I didn't get a good look. I pulled the contracts again they want lots in " clear lot" condition, maybe just salt to the max, plow only when nesscessary?plowing priced seasonally, salt per ton. Do it honestly, but salt whenever needed or questionable & presalt also?