1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help from the pros

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Chuckie, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

I know this belongs in Irrigation, but there is nobody over there at the present moment and I am looking for some quick answers. So I hope I am not bothering anyone here by posting here, and I thank everyone in advance for any type of help they may be able to give me.
    I have a lawn care company of my own and I am actually about to install a new lawn in my back yard. It is very small so I have decided to install a irrigation system. I am sure it is as simple as it comes for you pros that do it day in and day out. The actual area to be watered is only 50 feet long by 24 feet wide. Then I will need to pipe another 35 feet or so to go under the paver patio (not installed yet) and get my line back to the house into the basement and to my water source. I have a six inch ditch from the house to the end of the property to be watered. So my first question is where do I start. What kind of heads do you recommend, what kind of pipe do I use for the water line, etc. Can I just lay the proper pipe in the ditch and into my house so the line is run, then deal with the actual install of heads and such in the spring? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My wife told me yesterday that if she doesn't have a lawn by the week of thanksgiving I will be cooking for both of our families by myself with no help from her. So I just hate the idea of just sodding my lawn now and then having to dig a ditch next year when all I have right now is dirt. So throw your ideas at me. And I thank you all in advance for your help.
  2. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i wouldnt think an irrigation guy would be looking in commercial mowing i would post it there in irrigation
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a liscensed irrigation guy but I have installed a few. You use 1" PVC line for the water supply going to the valves and I am guessing you would be safe with 3 valves. Lay out a grid of 12' x 10'. This means you have a main line across the center and lines on each of the edges. You would need about 18 4" pop-up heads. The heads would be 10' apart on the 50' side and 12' apart on the 24' side. So you have 14 heads around the edges. You would need 4 heads across the middle of the yard 10' apart. Put all the valves in the trench across the middle of the yard. Using 1" lines to the valve and 3/4" pipe from the valves to each head. Remember to lay in wiring to each valve....3 red and 1 white and an extra for safety.
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Sod...you'll never have a lawn established by Turkey day:)
  6. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Find a commercial irrigation supplier in your area; they will be glad to help you.They helped me start a spin off of my lawn care business to do irrigation.John Deere Landscapes or equivalent will help you.
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i only have 1 bit of advice for you. never use anything under 3/4 inch sch40 pvc for your trunk line.if you do you will not have enough water volume at the sprinkler to properly run them. as far as the rest goes ask an expert in the irrigation forum.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would recommend rotors for this application, not pop ups.
  9. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

Thanks to all who have tried to help, I also received a great link through the irrigation forum..... Not worried about the sod by turkey day, have done this before with no problems, and even if I have to redo in the spring, at least it will look like grass on thanksgiving and I will not have had to do all the cooking by myself :D . that is the main goal here. But I did want to at least have the lines for the system installed so all the settling will be good by spring. Again, thank you to all that tried to help.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Uh... rotors pop up also. :p