1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help from veterans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GREENMANAGEMENT, Apr 10, 2002.

Need help from some "hardcore cutters" (veterans of the trade). I submitted an estimate on a 15 acre industrial site. Lots of grass to be mowed and lots of weeds to be sprayed. I'm currently running a 48" Scag ztr and a 36" Exmark. I know I'll need some serious firepower to tackle a property this size. I'm looking at adding a 60" Scag, Exmark, or Bad boy ztr or even possibly a tractor with a finish mower/bush hog. What do yall recommend?
    Also, does anyone know about the 100 gal sprayers that A. M. Leonard sells. Are they any good. What type of 100 gal pull behind sprayer do yall recommend? Thanks for the info. :D
  2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

15 acres of grass? If you want to tackle that I'd say AT LEAST a 72". That'd take you some serious time.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

From the sounds of your post you have no experience or license to spray. You better find someone to sub it out too.
  4. For the price AM Lenord seels their 100 gal you could buy 2- 200gal from NorthernTool.

Tow behinds are even more trouble than pulling a hose, so I don't recomend one.

ZTR will be the way to go, then you can use it on your other accounts.

Exmark Lazer 60" Hustler 60" or a Gravely 60"
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Make sure you take a look at the Hustler Super Z before buying. I got mine a week ago and love it, fast, nice suspension seat, great steering. I have the 60" they also make a 72" model.

hustler 2.jpg
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What is the world coming to, Ray leaves GD and gets into Hustling. haha.

Nice mower Ray.:blob4:
  7. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Northern tool is the way to go for your sprayer. As for the mowing a z or a small tractor with a gang mower./
  8. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Thats alot of grass, I have a Dixie Chopper, Its real fast and leaves a nice cut. If its all wide open cutting a DC is the way to go
  9. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i have 72" toro z master 26hp efi
    if that was all open area or enough i would tear that up. Look into toro because toro owns exmark or vise versa. I like the toro better because of the z-stand, wider gas tank openings, and because the owner of my shop is down to earth.

peace my brother
  10. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

A 60" ZTR should be able to cut 15 acres in approx. 4 hrs and will also fit on most smaller properties. I run eXmark and love them. Whatever brand you decide upon I think the 60" is the most versital. Unless there is an awful lot of trimming, one person should be able to do this property in 8 hrs.

As far as sprayers I don't know. I've seen some at the local Co-Op pretty cheap but I don't know how well they work.
    Good luck on the bid. There's nothing better than parking once and working all day instead of spending 2 hrs a day driving between jobs.