Help getting blade drive pully back on engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brian12281, Apr 3, 2008.

1. brian12281

brian12281 LawnSite Member

Swapping engines and for the life of me cannot get the pulley that drives the blades back on the crank (its a manual blade engage). I put the pulley for the hydo pumps on with no problem. Do I heat the pulley? Should I bang it on or press it on with a bolt thru the threaded hole on the bottom of the crank with the impact? any help would be appreciated

2. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to heat it. If you do use mapp gas, not regular propane. Mapp is alot hotter.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the crank and pulley for any burrs (flat spots on leading edges), Use emery paper on the crank and inside the pulley also check the key for any burrs/flat spots. You shouldn't have to heat/bang or jack this pulley on, It should slide on by hand if there is no problem.

Jacking on with the center bolt could snap the bolt off in the crank which could lead to more fun.

Good Luck

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I have never had to heat a pulley to get it on a engine. Since I don't know what engine you swap or what it is on...here or some general things to look for. Make sure there are no nicks or ding on the crank or the edge of the pulley, you have to file them down if you find any. If pulley has set screws, make sure they are not sticking out. Make sure that the keyway is undamaged on both the crank and pulley, and that the key is clean and there are no nicks in that as well. When you go to put the pulley on, are you sure that the keyways on both the crank and pulley are lined up. You may want to line the pulley up without the key and then put the key in. Spray alittle PB Blaster or WD 40 on both. A soft face hammer can be used to "tap" the pulley, you should not have to hit it really hard top get it on. Tolerances are close on the matting surfaces, but you should not have to beat or really force the pulley on. Hope this helps

5. brian12281

brian12281 LawnSite Member

thanks for the responses guys. I'll give it a try again tomorrow . I think i'll try it without the key in to narrow it down and will give a follow up.