Help Getting Into Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rogers lawn care, Jan 7, 2007.

1. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me if you have to be license in south carolina to install irrigation,or do maint.or repair? if not would you know who to contact to find out? done a search nothing on south carolina before you ask. thanks in advance.

2. No license needed in SC.

3. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member

thanks londonrain.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a forum somewhere where people are continuously asking "How do I find a better way to make a living and get OUT of irrigation?"

5. pharmdc1

pharmdc1 LawnSite Member

London Rain- I am also in SC and considering starting an irrigation business. I noticed that you have been doing it for many years and mention that it is just you and one other guy. I am in a similar situation. Have you found that there is enough of a demand in SC for irrigation to make good money and how feasible is it for 2 people to do it? Thanks in advance.

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

theres plenty of irrigation work in greenville sc.

nice city. could handle several contractors with no problem

There should be NO concern about how many contractors there are in your area. If you do a good job your business will grow.

7. When I started irrigation in Greenville, I could count the number of contractors on one hand. Now contractors come and go so fast I cant keep up. I try and do service only April - Sept and installs/service Oct-March. I work only with homeowners and I DO NOT work for builders because I like to get paid when the job is complete. If you do good work you should do fine. There is only 5-6 companies that only do irrigation in Greenville, the rest do landscaping and irrigation. This is my 17 year in business and it has taken a lot of hard work to get to the point we are at now.
    I know a lot of irrigation/landscapers in town and the newer companies do a lot of their work with builders or give their work away. We have over 1000 customers and this is what it takes to keep us busy doing irrigation only.
    For example I had three calls yesterday(Saturday) for service and in the summer we get upwards of 30 calls a day for service.

Also an employee from another irrigation only company called me about a month ago looking for a job since they had no work.

8. pharmdc1

pharmdc1 LawnSite Member

So what you are saying is that the market is overcrowded right now and only the established companies are going to do well? We are considering starting from scratch and would need to bring in over 100K per year. Do you think we should do landscaping as well as irrigation? Do you see something in demand right now that we could get into that would help us get established? Also, if you don't mind, could you give me any figures as to how much money we could expect to make (especially the first few years) if we were somewhat successful? Our wives aren't too keen on this idea, so numbers would really help our case.:) We would actually be working more in the Spartanburg area. I looked in the phone book and there were 25 companies listed under "irrigation." Do you know how to PM? If so, could you PM me some figures if you don't want to post them here? Thanks!

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

your looking for 100K wages/profit for you and your partner in the first year? That's how I read that anyway. There are several threads on here about starting up and they all say the same thing first..............be prepared to live absolutely BROKE for the first two to three years. Success and profitability do not come quickly. An established company name can put you in that tax bracket you want to be in, but not in the first five years.

10. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

My joke in seriousness to anybody who asks me about going into my business is that it took me five years to figure out how to make a profit and another five years to figure out how to make a living. What made me survive was learning to bust out a lot of work fast and a strong interest in what I refer to as my "craft". I think it is more important to develop a strong talent in one area "mine is repairs and upgrades" than to be a jack of all trades. Once your business is based on price you are doomed. Word of mouth is the best selling tool. Little things matter. Now I'm going through a new stage in my business cycle because my body isn't 25 anymore. (Turned 50 last year) So I'm trying to turn myself into a teacher and manager of others and this may be the most difficult stage of all because I'm having to trust others which I've always struggled with. It could also be the most rewarding. There is a reason most businesses fail within 5 years. It isn't easy.