HELP Ground Ivy/ Creeping Charlie

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by runningdeer, Oct 10, 2006.

1. runningdeer

runningdeer LawnSite Member

I need help getting rid of Ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea) also known as Creeping Charlie. I didn't fertilize/weed kill my back yard like I normally do this year being that my 2 year old daughter and her friends were always playing there. Is there anything that I can do this fall to get rid of this weed? Thanks guys!*trucewhiteflag*

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Spray it with a strong broadleaf herbicide. Do it now. Momentum or 3 Way Ester II should work fine. Doubt if you'll get rid of it all in one. IT is very tenacious and will take a couple of years of spraying to get rid of it.

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick silver works pretty good for me.

4. runningdeer

thanks guys for the info on the ground ivy. If anyone else out there has any additoinal solutions please add to this post.

5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Our program is this.

1) We lime as Creeping Charlie likes poorly drained, shade and low pH soils.
    2) We apply our Green Guardian product once per week for 3 weeks. Generally this will stop about 80% by that time.
    3) Keep spot treating all escapees. This is a never ending process.

I like to tell my customers that controlling Creeping Charlie is like trying to keep a tiger in the corner of the cage using a whip and a chair. It's always going to be able to come back eventually. Just keep up on it before it grows out of control again.

6. runningdeer

I see that you have a link to Handy Ramps. Do they make a ramp that I could use to get my Hustler ZT into the bed of my truck without taking my life into my hands?
    thanks

7. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes it's hard to get rid of. The chemical does not translocate throughout the entire plant, that's why multiple applications are necessary.

8. runningdeer

What do you use on creeping ivy?

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We use Confront or Momentum mixed in with our 3 way.

10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Anything with clopyralid is the best on it, but that is no longer labled for residential. University studies showed good results with Speedzone, and Fall is the best time of year to attack these weeds as they translocate much better.