Help Guys In The Hunt For A New Excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrsops, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Guys As You All Know Im A Bobcat Guy But I'm Looking To Get A New Excavator I Have The 334 From Bobcat Which Is A Really Nice Machine I Also Have The 341 Which You Guys Seen, That Is Just Getting Up There With The Hours. I Figured I Would Ask You Guys What Model Cat Excavator Is Equivalent To My 341 Don't Forget My 341 Is Not A Small Excavator I Have Done Some Pretty Big Jobs With That Machine Anyhow Get Back To Me On This

2. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the cat 305c is about the same as a 341

3. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

yeah the 305c cr is the equivilent. I belive its operating weight is a few hundered pounds lighter. But remember once you go CAT you'll never go back!

4. mrsops

my 341 digs 13' down does this 305 dig that deep

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The new 305's are leaps and bounds better than the old series. The 305C CR is a ballsy machine. Cat added more horsepower, I think it has a little more reach but I'm not terribly sure. Takeuchi builds a strong machine if you have a dealer in the area, might be a machine to look at as well.

6. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

305 digging depth is 11.5ft. If you want to step up to a 307 the digging depth is 13.5ft.

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You really need to avoid Bobcat in your next excavator purchase, mrsops, seriously, Bobcat is not the top of the heap anymore and they are losing steam-fast.

My brother's next excavator will be a toss up between a Cat 305CR and 308CR, we have looked at others, run them at the local dealership's yards and Bobcat is by far the worst excavators out there, bad fuel economy and excessive noise and vibrations on the ZTS models just to name some of the problems I am still hearing about here. The Cat 305 is definitely heavier and built heavier than the Bobcat 341 as well as the 435ZTS.

Put Bobcat on the side and try a Cat, Komatsu and a Takeuchi out, then try Bobcat, you'll see a HUGE difference, and if the Bobcat sales rep will lower his price just to keep you in his back pocket, that is an obvious sign that he knows Bobcat can't compete.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I shopped the CAT 305C CR and the Takeuchi TB153 last year. I never demoed the CAT and I was trading in a TK TB53FR. The CAT has a nice cab. The TK in comparison is more utilitarian. I did not find that the CAT appeared all that HD for this size machine (granted that is subjective and really does not mean much. Thats just how I saw it). The CAT was 13K more than the TK. I checked the resale values of the 305 (not the C as it was just released last year) and they were nothing to write home about. I found that CAT mini excavators had average resale at best when compared with TK and Kubota. I went back for another TK. As I have said before that boom swing system is currently without equal. I was told last week that Deere is releasing a similiar boom system on its 75 sized machine. I certainly would demo the 153. It weighs about 12,500 pounds. You will throw rocks at your current machine after spending a day in it. The boom configuration takes a couple hours to get used to, after that there is no looking back.

I have run Deere's 50 and CASE's 50B. Very similiar machines. The specs are about the same both lag behind CAT, TK and Kubota. However if your not using the machine for HD digging either of these machines are nice. The CASE/Kobelco machine has proven very durable. There are quite a few out here including rental yards and the owners are very happy with them. I use my mini as a 580 replacement. I wanted a little heavier and more powerful machine. I owned a IHI product for 4 years and have nothing but good things to say about them. Great hyd. package, superior feel to the controls.

The |Bobcat guys here are also the Deere guys. They try to push the Deere/Hitachi machines before the Bobcat (excavators). Although last week they said that the ZTS machine has improved significantly and they are starting to push a little more.

9. mrsops

thanks for the input guys do you know how much these machines are going for? i just got price from bobcat on the 337 with the long arm which is the same thing as my 341 it seems they dont make the 341 anymore its now the 337 price was $57,000 seems like alot it does come with everything cab and heat air condition keyless ignition back up alarm horn and bucket. 435 was 12,000 cheaper

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've toyed around on a couple Bobcat excavators, never done any real work, but they don't turn my crank at all. They seem way slow and it seems if you ask anyone with a newer machine they're having hydraulic system or swing drive issues with them, usually the larger models (331 and up). I think Bobcat's quality control has gone downhill in the last couple years with their excavators. Combine that with their average specs compared to other brands and it's easy to see that there are better choices.