Help guys, trimming is killing me from the elbow down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Been fighting this for a while guys... and just hoping it would ease away. But it's not. Many times I am miserable with both limbs from the elbow down. Top of the arms, the wrists and hands.... and most times these days I'm having big problems with the right one.

I run my trimmer right handed by the way.

They just ache and it feels like everything has been twisted up tight. As I type this, if I rub my arms it feels like I have a cunch of BB's under my skin. Lots of times out in the field my right hand goes sorta numb.

I'm sorta at a loss on this one. I don't know if it's me and trimming is just starting to get the best of me, or if I've developed a new bad habit I do not realize, or changes in accounts, or changes I've made in relation to my trimmer or what.

I don't know where to point the finger or what to try...
    So any input at all would be appreciated.

2. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

maybe the vibration of the trimmer is just messing up the insides of ur arm.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Carpel tunnel, or the numbness could be the first signs of diabetes. Or just a combination of the vibrations and age.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Carpel tunnel, or the numbness could be the first signs of diabetes. Or just a combination of the vibrations and age.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What trimmer are you using? Is it new? How much trimming do you do.. more than average? Have you adjusted the handle so it's most comfortable for you?

You may have to demo some other trimmers and see if one is a more comfortable fit for you.

Other than that you may want to see a doctor.

6. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought carpel tunnel too but wouldn't that also irritate when you used the levers on w/b? It really does sound like carpel tunnel though. Im sure the doctor has something for you...

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using the Echo srm-260s for the past 3 years after my Stihl crapped out and just recently bought another Stihl...
    It immediately came to my attention the Stihl transfers every vibe, every rhythm or rpm change, anything that goes on inside the motor OR down at the head straight to the hand via the handle... The echo does not do this because the Echo's handle is shock-absorbent...
    So what I did is I ordered another Echo D-handle (that's what it's called) and installed it on my new Stihl weed-eater after I removed the Stihl handle and now everything is soft and smooth again.

Perhaps try an Echo D-handle?

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Hire a helper to do the trimming and you can run the Z.

You may have to pick up a few more accounts in order to pay for the helper but it will be well worth it.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like carpal tunnel, except for the BBs under the skin. I would get to the doc pronto.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys! Here I was on here trying to help someone else and now I'm way behind on responding here. So let me gather my thoughts and try to catch up.