Help!!! Having Trouble Leave Swirl Marks On Turns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wright48, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

I JUST BOUGHT A WRIGHT SENTAR SPORT AND IVE ONLY USED IT MAYBE 4 OR 5 HOURS BECAUSE ITS THE OFF SEASON BUT IVE BEEN TRYING TO PRACTICE BUT I CANT MAKE A TURN WITH OUT LEAVE SWIRL MARKS OR RUTS ANY SUGGESTIONS ?????? HELP!!!:confused:

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on 'z turns' this subject has been well discussed. Good luck!

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Slow down when you turn and do a 3 point turn.

4. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

THe 3-point turn works, but what i like to do is mow a border around the stripes when i am done and the blades take the swirls out. Looks nice too!

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I think there is lack of clarity on "swirls" in this discussion. To Wright48, are the "swirls" a change in the bending of the turf to make a stripe across the width of the cutting deck, or are the "swirls" tearing up the turf by the wheels of the mower? One answer implies the first understanding, another answer implies the tearing of turf with the drive wheels.

6. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

on the walkbehind i always do 2 passes around the outside

then coming up to a turn slow down and counterrotate, spin one tire backwards and one slower forwards, but dont know if those wrights are hydros, or if theyre so heavy theyll rip grass trying to do that

also accidently put turf tamers instead of turf savers on my one WB, even when trying to be careful i rip holes in the lawn with that tread pattern

good luck

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I assumed he meant tearing up the turf because he said he was making ruts also.

8. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

The basic advice to prevent scuffing the turf when making a 180 degree turn with a heavier mower is "keep both drive tires rotating at all times". The control design on stand-on (and Sentar) type mowers can make this a bit of a challenge, but with practice it can be done.

The problem is smoothly transitioning from forward to reverse. With Wright's quad lever controls, you can smoothly go forward by grasping the yellow fixed bar with your fingers and rear control bar with your thumb, or smoothly go backward by grasping the forward control bar with fingers and yellow fixed bar with thumb, but you can't quickly transition between the two positions. If try to use one of the control bars without also grasping the fixed bar (like you were operating a conventional z with over the lap controls), the mower will move jerkily because your body will sway relative to the controls.

When you only need one wheel to turn in reverse, as in an in-place z-turn, you can release the lever to neutral, slide the heel of your palm past the rear control bar, and push backward the heel of your palm (near the wrist) by spreading out your hand, while keeping your fingers hooked on the yellow fixed bar.

A T-turn is more difficult to execute, because you need to turn both wheels in reverse. Using the heel of your palm on both controls is unstable. To make a left hand T-turn, first arc 90 degrees to the right, then come to a complete stop. Move your right had to the forward so you can grasp the front (reverse) control bar, but leave your left hand on the back control bar to push it backward with the heel of your palm. Drive the mower straight backward and stop. Your hands are prepositioned so you can quickly make right turn from the stop: the left hand is in place at the rear controls to drive the left wheel forward, while the right hand is slightly delayed (because you must shift it to the rear controls). It takes some practice to remember which hand goes where for a right hand or left hand turn, but after a while you no longer have to think about it. I use an abreviated T-turn (sort or Y shaped) when I am facing downhill (poor traction) with my Stander or am on really soft turf.

Another tip: On a Stander (this may not work with a Sentar), before you make a turn, you can twist your body in the opposite direction of the turn, then throw your weight into the turn at just the right moment. This reduces the traction force needed by the drive tires, helping you turn faster without scuffing.

Good luck!

9. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

thanks alot ill have to practive what you were saying because thats the only problem im haveing is getting used to the quad lever steeringbecause like you said its tricky.