help help scag cougar any good????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Feb 13, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i love scag i rate them the best mower out there period but i have only had turf tigers & cubs. my question is i could buy a 42 inch 25hp kohler 400 hours 2003 model for $3500.00
    my question is i love hopping out of my truck and on my ztr's and going how do these compair to a true ztr? what i mean is ground speed good? good on hills? and how much more big do they feel and need to turn around? or are they close?? any help would be great also walker owners could probally help to cause they are same type machines.. it is a scag so i know it will last.. please just let me know how they handle ride and turning compaired to regular ztr's thanksdancing

2. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

The mower your looking a is over $9k new, why do you think they're letting it go so cheap. I have a scag turfrunner, which is an earlier generation cougar
    biggest piece of crap. I would stay away from buying the cougar.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We bought one of the first Scag Cougars that was run by TG as a test unit for one year. We have had the unit round 5 years and it has done a good job for us. Like you indicate it is heavy build, the only structural thing we are begging to have is some cracking of the deck in the area of the spindles but that can be easily fixed. We have had not hydro or wheel motor problems and the blower works fine. This is a good bagging unit, in fact I would compare it to Walker. We have a used walker 36" and I have seen situations where the Walker would clog on wet rye grass and the Scag didn't. The handling of the unit is excellant and I guess it does about as well on hills as you could expect. The very big advantage over Walker is you can mulch, bag and throw grass out the side with some small in-field changes of baffles. If you need a bagger this unit is certainly better than any hang on unit. These units are normally 48" wide?

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the new 2006 catalog and that mower isnt in there any more. My quess is that they didnt have a good system and were not selling many of them. Also when mowers get discontinued parts become harder to find. For what my opinion is worth I would stay away from it

wayne

5. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

ed2, or anyone else who used them.. how fast can you turn them? like if a zero turn rider like turf tiger is a sport car what would a cougar drive like (a sport car, car, truck or bus.) when i see these mowers out working i never watch them enough to see how fast they can zero turn. that is really my concern with buying this mower. i know scag's and in my book they are king..dancing

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You really need to think twice about buying that mower. Scag makes a lot of good mowers, but the one you want was not one of them. They were so poorly designed, that Scag ended up buying a lot of them back, rather than face lawsuits from the purchasers.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I won't buy one new but we have not had ANY significant problems with that unit. Most of the main parts are used on other Scag unit. As far as speed it has good speed for dumping and go fast as you want on mowing. I am a Mechanical Test Engineer and that is why they sold the demo unit to us to get some feedback. The unit is built like a tank on all fronts, part of the reason it probably didn't do well. The blade rpm would not be as good as present machines and as a consequence the cut would not be as good. However, we use our Scag all winter when we are bagging rye grass and put mulch attachement on when we mulch leaves in Jan and Feb.