Help! Help! Starting Lawn Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darrylb, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Darrylb

Darrylb LawnSite Member

I need Basic tools for starting basic lawn care business. (Trimming, Mowing)

2. Darrylb

Darrylb LawnSite Member

not looking to purchase tools, just need ideas.:dizzy:

3. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

Some of the basics are:
    mower, whether its 21", 36" or 48" or whatever will depend on your properties.
    Weed trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower, gas cans, shovels, rakes, and customers.:D
    Just think about what your long term plans are, cause if you are planning to do this full time than make sure you buy equipment that will benefit now and then as oppose to going to small now. I know my first trailer I bought was a 10' and I out grew that in the first year. Before some of these folks attack you reply with what size yards you are doing or hoping to do, will you be full/part time/ Do you have a truck & trailer, or just a pickup?

4. Darrylb

Darrylb LawnSite Member

I will start part - time but plan to go full time in the future.
    I have a 10' trailer, basic 32" Snapper ridding mower, and a blower. I plan to buy a pick-up truck, trimmer, and a 21" self propelled walk behind.

5. Darrylb

Darrylb LawnSite Member

i also plan to start with med size res. only.

6. jamesday

jamesday LawnSite Member
    from MS

Well, I decided I might get into this business as well. I have a truck, a new 12' trailer, a used 48" SCAG Belt WB, a new GS30 John Deer 36" Gear WB both with Velke's, a new 757 John Deer 60 Inch ZTR, a new Stihl Trimmer, Blower, Edger and Chain Saw...so far I'm in it for about $16,000 and I have not 1 customer...!!

I sure hope summer comes soon!! hahaha

7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Don't start up man, this is a horrible business to be in!:D Just ask anyone in Victoria, they'll tell ya!;)

8. Darrylb

Darrylb LawnSite Member

IBGreen,
    don,t want to get rich, just want to make a living!:p :p

9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

As far as a mower goes, check out an exmark metro, 36" will fit through most gates and with a set of jungle wheels you can be fairly productive in residential and small commercial. As far as 2 cycle stuff goes, Echo hasn't let me down yet. Its not too expensive, get a pb603 bp blower and an srm 260 trimmer they aren't the cheapest but you won't need to upgrade for a while. Good luck! Also look into a mulch kit for the metro, total will be about $3,700 for the mower decked out and the blower/trimmer.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Jamesday,

Please tell me your kidding. That is more equipment than we have. We have been in for 6 years and have around 120 customers. Are you going to be buying someones route?