1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Her PLease!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by txlawnking, Jul 2, 2004.

1. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife is wanting to get some formal education in landscape design and installation. She is wanting to get the education online or through correspondence, as we have three small children that prevent her from going to a school on a campus. She has looked at several different ones, but has found the PCDI(Professional Career Development Institute), to be to her liking. We were wondering what you guys thought of this school/course and if you know of a better school/formal training? If this is a bogus deal or something let us know please as she is wanting to really learn landscaping and do professional work to build that side of our business as I personally have no desire to formally study it. Please help guys!:D :D
  2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

There is no better education than getting out and physically doing the job with someone that knows the business. Learning through books and classes will help you to become knowledgeable with plant names but when it comes to installs you have to learn by being at the job site and actually doing the work yourself.
    With installs every job has different variables that will dictate how you proceed with the installation. Some of these are drainage issues, soil type, slope, customer preference of plants, edging, etc.
    Another option you could consider is getting one of the good design software programs. These were a big help for me.
  3. txlawnking

I have never seen the software. She understands that she needs to be at a job, doing the work, but she needs to know more plant names, and how to look at a job and say "this goes here, or I think these plants would look good there". So is the software really good, what does it teach you?
  4. Lombardi

To me the software was very well worth the money. I started with PUNCH and just this year invested in PRO. Horticopia also looks to be helpful.
    They helped me by the fact that the software does a lot of the work for you. By entering your climate zone it will eliminate the plants you don't need. You can also narrow plant types down to height and sunlight requirements.
    Another useful feature is the database that comes with each plant. It will tell you all details about the plant plus it shows what the plant looks like in full color 3-D view.
    PUNCH is very affordable, $50-$70. PRO is expensive, $1295.00, but has a lot more features.
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Another thing to do is have her go to your local Nursery and get a list (usually a wholesale price list) of all tha plants they carry.Come back home and look them up on the net.Get to know just those plants to start.
  6. txlawnking

Good idea, Thanks.

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

txlawnking - Getting a list from your local wholesale nursery is a good idea, that's where I start before suggesting a plant to a client.

Also see if the nursery has a website with a plant list that she can download & start to study.

I use the Home Depot plant finder alot, for general info or a picture of the plant. Here's the link,

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU.../Garden Club&MID=9876&pos=n34&GCMemLoggedIn=0

I also got several books at BJ's (they were way less than the book store) that are encyclopedia's of plants. There are also some really good books about Landscaping design that I picked up a while ago. I got the ones geared for my zone, but they have them for several zones. I'll post the titles and authors when I get home.
  8. txlawnking

Yeah, I've got her some plant encyclopedia's and she really digs em' , But she's wanting more than just horticultural plant knowledge, etc. She's wanting to learn how to do Everything from light hardscaping to drafting up plans etc. We know there are university classes for landscaping type work, but that's not an option right now as our Three kids are 4&3 respectivelly.. No time for class, or the big bux. She and I both strive to be professional, and I really want her to help me build our biz...
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi txlawnking,

Here is an online education site I found that might be helpful.
  10. Lombardi

I mean no disrespect by this but, if she doesn't have time for class nor the money to aid in learning, then she really has no time at this point in her life to learn what she wants. An on-line course will take time and money and most importantly time alone on the computer. She will not get either with kids at home. I know. I have 2 myself.
    This also means she would not have time to work with experienced landscapers either. What you can learn in books is good, but what you can learn from hands on experience is invaluable.