help high grass!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cigar6, Feb 23, 2002.

1. cigar6

cigar6 LawnSite Member

What would brand of walk behind would anyone recommend using for high grass( foreclosed properties that have not been cut for a while) that would hold up well under rough cut conditions.

Thanks for any input!!!!!!!!!
  2. John Deere 8100 and a 20' brush hog.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Definitely sounds like the Realtors market in our areas LOL!!!

Just be prepared to spend about 8-12 man hours per property to get the 2' grass back down to 4" and presentable. I would think that first time thru regardless of time a minimal fee of $350 is not out of the question.

I have a source for bush-hogging and hes charging us $165/hr with a 3hr minimum to knock these properties down this season. Then we can come thru with the rakes and mowers to clean it up if necessary.
  4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Hustler makes a product exactly for that purpose, it should be more than enough to work with.

5. Charge more for the first visit and you van use mainly any type of commercial mower.

I have use Lazers, Dixie Choppers, and Ronsome Bobcats to cut 4' tall plus crap down.

You run through on the highest setting first, then lower the deck to mulch the crap up.
  6. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Just be sure to get a good going over everything so you can watch for crap you don't want to mow over, bricks, cinder blocks, car parts, tools, anything that will be bad to mow over, those blades and spindles aren't free, ya know.

7. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

What's the average size of the props?
  8. The Plow Kid

The Plow Kid Banned

you might want to look into a DR. Brush mower, their pro model is $2200 and has a 30" width and a 15 hp kawasaki v-twin engine.~NaTe
  9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think there is grass tall enough that a Dixie Chopper can't mow.
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use a Toro 44" wbh to knock it down then come in and clean it up with the Walker. Cheaper to have the Toro hit hidden crap than the Walker.