Help him out or blow him off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stihl036pro, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

I have been in this business for about 5 years now. I am 23 years old. I have got to know the kids around the town that do this part time while there in High school. I was one of them back in the day. Well, this one kid down the street from me I have gotten to know over the years we always have teamed up into giving each other advise about lawn care WHEN we were younger. He is going to college for a landscaping degree. Well anyways, I was talking to him on the phone the other day and he was wondering if I could show him how I do things. As far as recording keeping and staying organized. I consider him a friend but also as a competitor that is going to be in this business for the long haul. What would you do? Help him out or blow him off? I would like to help him out because he is my Friend but I don't want to give him to much info? He just got his business license. So I know he is serious about his work.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

give me a break

3. Stihl036pro

Can you explain yourself Bobby

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

That's a tough question. While I don't mind helping out on lawn site, giving a direct competitor that lives down the street help is kind of a bit too much.

5. Stihl036pro

I already know what your going to say, Freindships dont mix with business, am I right

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

look , i know i been on a bit of a rampage lately, i feel like a horse in the starting gate, but the gate won't open. i have so much work to do, but the weather sucks. anyway, i think it's noble and kind to help eachother, i also think it's very bad business. if i have to compete with the guy down the street, he's in for it. i'll be friendly, nice, but don't ask me how to run a business. the worst he does, the better i am. when his customers lawn looks terrible, but my customers lawn, right down the street looks great, i'll reap the rewards. start teaching your direct competition what to do, and your route becomes farther, and farther. do what's best for you.

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I say help him. If it's anything like around here, there is enough work for anyone and everyone. And who knows, one day you may get sick, take a vacation, need help, etc., and he could be the one to call. He will remember that you helped him, and most likely respect you for it, not use it against you.

One of the worst things I think is telling other LCO's about Lawnsite, but I do it. Just think of the knowledge they could get off of here.....but I still say it will better the whole industry, the more people doing this and actually know what they are doing, the better.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would be inclined to give advice in that area but I wouldn't open the books up for him to see specifics of my business.

9. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

Its one thing to help him with the mowing aspects and what not, I would not open up the books about the financial side to him. :cool:

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would personally only give him a peak, but other than that, it's your business, not his. Make him work for it.