Help! How do I charge $$

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hink, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Hink

Hink LawnSite Member

Help, Just starting out !

2. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

First of all,

Do a search, and read every post, that would be a start.

Then once you have been able to ask an intelligent question that we here at lawnsite are able to give you a specific answer to, then we here will help you.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I hate to say this, But the easiest way is to have friends and relatives get as many estimates from the local guys and aim for the middle. Make sure they are companies that you know are legit too. You don't want to base your price off of someone trying to earn beer money.

I know my peers are going to say that I'm nuts for telling you to waste a companies time. But if it will help our industry have better pricing and competition. then I think it is worth it, even for the guys giving you the estimates.

4. Hink

Hink LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guy's. Although I don't know if I was slammed by glenjr or not. Something about when you ask an intelligent question we will give you an answer. I am 44 years old an have learned that NO question is a dumb question! Thanks Soupy for the advice. I will definitely take that into account. I am making a business plan up this winter and am asking lots of questions of everybody. I am not going to get in over my head with this business by going out and buying lots of new equipment. I hope to get an old used truck and trailer and start with that.
    Hope to talk to you all soon and wish you all happiness and good luck in your businesses.

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I for one wouldn't mind having a little of my time wasted to prevent a lowballer enter the market. Think of how much $$ that would add in the long run. OUTSIDE THE BOX THINKING HERE. Heck I wouldn't mind teaching lowballers how to bid, actually tell them a $40 yard is worth $45-50, they'd probably still lowball but at least they'd be inline with everyone else.

PS Your weren't being slammed, if and when you are, you'll know it. Just that alot of peolple ask this question when the answers are already here. Kind of like going to the gas station and asking where the 2 liters of pop are. All you have to do is look here and you shall find these questions about how much to charge for this and that being a general question.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

7. Hink

Hink LawnSite Member

Hey thanks guys. Brand new to this site. Appreciate the help. Hope everybody had a safe and happy holiday.
    Hink