1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP!! How Do I get rid of this BROWN???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Reel_Green, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Reel_Green

Reel_Green LawnSite Member

I’ve been working since spring to get the brown dead growth out of this Zoysia lawn in the Nashville, TN area. We’ve had a fairly damp spring and the temperatures are reaching the upper 80’s and low 90’s so it can’t be temperature or drought related. I’ve de-thatched, fertilized but none of it seems to be working. I even dropped my deck height to 2.5” in hopes of “cutting out” the brown but it’s still there. From a distance the lawn looks nice and green but when you look straight down you see the dead grass. I’ve also noticed that some of the grass just doesn’t seem to be growing after it’s cut. After the grass has been cut a week some blades have grown an inch or more while other blades haven’t grown at all and still have a brown tip from being cut. The only think I have not done to this lawn is lime it. It also appears that I need to encourage lateral growth. It just isn’t as think as a Zoysia lawn should be. Any ideas on what might be the problem or what I can do to remedy the problem?:dizzy:

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks to me you need to bag it once to get all the lose grass that your just blowing around. make sure you have razer sharp blades on
  3. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

MY yard looks the exact same. I don't think bagging will help- it's not clippings that are the dead grass.

Reel Green is right- about 50% of the grass grows to a certain point and then stops. It looks great from a distance but then when you look at it real close there's a lot of dead grass mixed inwith the live stuff...

This applies to the established lawn areas and the areas I planted grass seed last fall. I planted Rebel III last fall and it has YET to grow at the same pace as the lawn surrounding it.

HELP ME TOO!!!!
  4. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

A fungus maybe??If you put out alot of nitrogen this year you will probably have alot of brown patches.It has alot to do with all the rain.There are some products out there that will correct your problem,I cant think of the name right now but im sure some one will remind me.:)
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. We are seeing a lot of fungus this year due to 2 extremely wet years. A fungicide would help to kill the fungus.
  6. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been making a few extra bucks applying fungicides this season. But it the fungus sucks because I have a few lawns that have fungus problems but the people do not want to spend a few extra bucks to cure the problem. So i had to redo my routes so that they'd be last. That or i have to clean out the deck after i cut... I dunno if scraping the deck will get all the fungus off the deck.. Oh well
  7. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

The product I use is from lebanon,it works real well and one bag covers about 15,000 sq. feet.I just cant remember the nameHope this helps
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

That is more than likely old leaf spot or dollar spot damage, not brown patch. If it was brown patch the sections would be dead and you would have holes there.

It is a little late now to bother with fungicides on zoysia in this area, most damage has been done. I would suggest putting urea down, a 44-0-0 along with iron or sustane for color. You need to feed it and get the old dead blades grown out.
  9. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

I suggest cutting the grass higher. Try 3.5".
  10. Reel_Green

Reel_Green LawnSite Member

I've never used urea but I'm willing to try anything. Do you recommend applying the urea and iron in any particular order?