Help! How to avoid corporal tunnel syndrom and numbing fingers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 11, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year and I usually have 20-30 yards I cut each week and they avg about 1/6 acre. I use a $500 lowes John Deer 21 in and a $120 troy built trimmer and a $100 poulon pro blower. I spend about 20-25 hours/week I estimate. No help. For the past several weeks my hands ( mainly the right one) aches in the morning when I wake up, hurts badly when I try to write with it ( at least in the morning ), and has partial numbness at times. :cry: It's really scary to me. I got the best equip I could afford, but would commercial equip be much less vibration or better on my hands? I think it may mainly be the trimmer that is causing it cause I find myself switching hands a lot more cause of discomfort. If I bought a commercial trimmer, would that solve it? I started using gloves but maybe they're not thick enough. Any ideas? If I should find a riding mower would that be easier? Any and all help would be much appreciated cause I'm also a musician so healthy fingers are crucial!

thanks in advance!

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

try some finglress gloves with gel palms or try to modify the grips on the string trimmer to something better. fo to a motorcycles shop....Closed cell foam grips worked th e best for me

I had the same problem on my motorcycle...the buzziness made my throttle hand feel like it was going to sleep...

3. green-pa

ok, I'll check into that! Thanks MarcSmith! By the way, did u say it was your trimmer also ( and not mower ) that caused the majority of your numbness?

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

just for your info. it is carpal tunnel syndrome. I had a co-worker with it and he wore gloves to help with it as well.

5. green-pa

Well I didn't know how to spell it. My dad just had 2 operations ( one on each hand ) for it. He got it from the railroad, driving the engine for over 40 years. So I was shocked to have signs of it one only my 1st year. Of course this biz is much more vibrations and buzzing than a train engine. How much are the gloves, about $30 or $40. Do they really help a lot? If so I'm sure they are worth every penny!

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Your problem may have nothing to do with your equipment. How do you sleep at night? (I am serious). Do you sleep with your arm up by your head / shoulders, do you sleep on your side with an arm under you? Things like this can be a cause, especially since you say you wake up with it. Have you talked to a doctor? Possibly a wrist brace to wear when you sleep could help.

Some things to think about.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I never had issues while mowing (Snapper pro hydro with the hoops) and I never had problems with trimming or edging Robin 2 strokes and Shindiawa 230's But I made sure that me or my employee's never spent a realy long time any one machine...

My problem was with the throttle hand onmy motorcycle...but same thing you'd get the buzziness and numbness from the hi freq vibrations.

I have not driven bikes in years so I can't rememebr why brand of glove I used.... but for work youd want someting with an open back anf fingeless to help keep the sweating to a minimum.

8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have full blown carpel tunnel.. My advice is to stay away from pistol grip walk behinds..Also goto a drug store and get a good carpel tunnel wrist brace and wear it at night... Ive worn mine everynight for a year and my hand doesnt bother me nearly as much as it did in the beginning.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, a carpal tunnel brace that holds your middle finger up in position that keeps you from using your wrist wrong.

10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

R hand on the throttle and L hand on the throttle about half the time each for trimming might help. I started with my left hand where the work was not precise, mowing banks and ditches. Still need to improve my skill but haven't debarked any trees left handed.