HELP: How to install 8-10Ft Spruces

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by StihlBR600, Apr 8, 2013.

1. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Im doing a landscape job where im creating 2 new flower beds by bringing in topsoil. They are going to be about 1 ft high of fresh top soil. The customer asked if i could install 8 8-10 ft spruce trees in the new beds. Im going to have my skid steer on the job with me so moving them isnt a problem.

Im worried about what to charge to install them. The customer will buy the trees and have them delivered. The holes will have to be hand dug. Any help on pricing and how to plant a spruce would be much appreciated

2. StihlBR600

BUMP nobody??

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes very little time or effort to dig a hole for that size tree in my neighborhood .... sand, no pebbles, no rocks, no ledge, no clay, .... no problem. If YOU go by that, you might not make any money. That is why no one is answering you. We don't know your conditions .... even if you try to describe them.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Can you get a post hole digger for the skid?

5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You may have different soils up there but here in clay country I hate seeing holes dug mechanically. The operator always goes deeper than needed which means loose backfill, which means the tree will likely settle lower than it should be, which means it limps along till it dies.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

7. StihlBR600

No i cannot get a auger for the skid. The holes will have to be hand dug. I was thinking around $100 per tree installed

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Are you warrantying the trees
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

In tough soils we will use forks on the skid steer to losen the soil for easy digging.

Don't forget staking, tall spruces like these we will typically have 3 guy wires.

10. StihlBR600

No i am not warrantying them. I would if i was the one buying them but the customer is having them delivered last minute. I dont have forks for the skid either....