HELP...hustller pump belt whats the trick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kippert, Mar 8, 2008.

1. kippert

kippert LawnSite Member

I am having trouble getting the pump belt on ...what is the deal....what do I need to do...I am at my witts end...thanks....

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand what problem you are having, explain your procedure?

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet he's trying to replace the small belt that runs from the PTO to the wheel pumps. The older ones were an absolute beast to get on.

Your dealer may be able to get you another one. They've started making them now so they aren't nearly as tight to get on but they still don't slip.

4. kippert

kippert LawnSite Member

yes its the small belt....I just can't get it stretched enough to get it around the pulleys....is there a trick to it or am I doing something wrong....thanks

5. kippert

kippert LawnSite Member

I am replacing 8 year old belts and pulleys....everything else was pretty simple but this belt is not going on without a fight...

6. grasskicker71

grasskicker71 LawnSite Member

From what I gather. Your saying with no tension on belt what so ever you still cant get your new belt on. Well if your replacing your pulleys too maybe you can take your pulleys off and put your belt around pulleys and install at same time. If it is your spring, tie twine to it.Stretch it out, tie it off to something.Get under mower and push spring in, cut twine off. Find that easier than pliers sometimes.If you have tried all that or I didn't help you out any go post on Mechanic and Repair forum. A lot of knowledgeable guys on there.

7. kippert

kippert LawnSite Member

Sorry guys....I think its the wrong size ....the old one was easy to put back on ....thanks anyway..

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say that belt is not that hard to put on, are you sure you have the correct belt, but you already figured it out.