Help!! Hydro Mowing Techniques

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lee Roy, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Lee Roy

Lee Roy LawnSite Member

I just bought my first Hydro machine (Lesco 48" Float). I had been using a JD WB gear driven for years.

I am not familiar with the techniques of mowing with the Hydro. I have property with 25 - 30 degree hills, some parts are very narrow. With the JD on the narrow parts I would go side to side without turning. (Once it would get facing down hill it was big trouble.) On the hills with long stretches (300 feet) I would cut across the hill top to bottom, reversing and backing down to the next stripe.

With the Hydro I am not sure what is the best way. I thought I could go up and down on the narrow part but it seems to want to runaway. On the long stretchs I am not sure which is best top to bottom or bottom to top. When I turn should I have one lever forward and one reversed to do a zero turn?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

CHEFDRP should be able to help you with your questions. I think he has the same machine. good luck with the LESCO!

GEO :)

3. Lee Roy

Lee Roy LawnSite Member

I would like to hear from any Hydro owners, it is not that important to me if the
    mower is a Lesco or not. I am just looking for general mowing techniques.

4. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

i have the cub cadet commercial 48 with pistol grips the way i found out to go down hills is to hold the levers a little bit (like stopping or to turn) just pull the handles a little to slow down and it will go down a hill without sliding and such. the way i found to turn is to pull one handle and to tap it or let off just so slightly to let the wheel turn just a little (the one side that you want to stop or reverse) it will let you turn without tearing up the grass the hydro system on these are point and go much different than a belt system you will get use to it it takes about 2 or 3 hours to get use to it by that time u will never have a belt again