1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! I can't find good workers!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ptunia, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Ptunia

Ptunia LawnSite Member

I am so sick of lazy and incompetent employees! My husband and I were just discussing his day. One of his crews has 3 employees. 2 of which should only count as one since they work so slow!
    The best worker I have is a 23yr old guy who has the work ethics of someone twice his age and he gets paid the least. I am paying the so-called crew leader $2 more an hour and he works half as hard! I want to give this kid a much deserved raise, and get rid of this dead weight, but finding help in my area is impossible! I have run an ad for 4 weeks now and I have only gotten a few calls. Either they want to start at $15/hr (NOT!) or they want to work M-F 8-5 (NOT!) :help:
    Any suggestions!! I am in the mood to fire all of them except the kid and start over, but I NEED BODIES!! Some work is better than none at all! :dizzy:
  2. Rob's landscaping

Rob's landscaping LawnSite Member

Yes that's my problem too, We have to keep the lawn price high so we get better help for $15.00 hour all my help right now are on drugs.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

H2B?? It's almost a dirty word in some circles, but it will solve your problem. And you can make passable english a requirement. Just be ready to be a little closer to "real" wages. Even with the upfront legal / setup fees, they won't cost you as much as hiring, firing and advertising for new each week.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

That's pretty much the norm in the industry. Good help is not only hard to find, but hard to keep! If you feel you're underpaying your best employee then he probabbly feels so as well and will be gone soon if not recognized for it. If you have dead weight then unfortunatley the best advice is to get rid of him now. Youre only really hurting yourself by keeping him around. You may try and motivate him first and see if that helps. Ask the kid that is working if he has any friends that will work. People tend to hang around people similar to themselves.
    Good luck!
  5. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

How we can help you . But why can't they work m-f 8-5 ????????? That's what my guys work NO weekends . I'm sorry it's 9-5 but still
  6. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I seem to hang around lazy ppl even though Im not. I'm looking for some employees still. I offered a buddy of mine a job this year, he worked for me in the past. $15/hour, with 40hours a week min. He decided that he only wanted to work 2 days so he could work 3 more days for $10 an hour elsewhere. Just doesn't make sense lol.
  7. Ptunia

Ptunia LawnSite Member

Thanks Todd, but in LA M-F 8-5 is NOT an option!
    The grass grows fast and we have a lot of customers. We offer quality cuts and we have standards. It takes a little longer for us to do it, but we do it right. We have customers that have been with us for 20yrs. We are not the cheapest but we offer a great quality! They get what they pay for. :angel:

I expect the same results from my employees. My customers are used to a certain quality and we must provide it or we will end up losing them!

I NEED GOOD EMPLOYEES THAT WORK HARD! I don't expect perfection, but I do expect them to do the job right.
  8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Pay them a little better but a good worker is 1 in a 100 to find . when you get them don't let them go and pay them right and they will stay !! Like your Foreman make it worth his while to watch two kids !!!
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Join the party guys. this year alone I have gone through 7 guys already. Everyone is a professional and knows everything, but once they are on the job they just feel silly. You just have to keep on looking. Tryi offering more beneficial items to employees. Uniforms, competative pay and 8-10hr days. I mean really, who wants to do manual labor for more than 8hrs a day? Gotta keep the proces up in order to take care of employees. :)
  10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

It's frustrating to say the least ... We have hired double the amount we will need to compensate for the no-shows and people that just won't make the "spring cut".
    If you can't hire them in the first place you need to be a little more creative in where you look for help.
    Good luck ... at least take some comfort in knowing it's not just your problem...it's industry wide and always has been.