Help!! I can't make up my mind.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cosmo, Apr 24, 2001.

1. cosmo

cosmo LawnSite Member

Help, I am going nuts trying to make up my mind, on the wiser choice for a new walk-behind.

1.Lesco gear-drive 48" w/15hp Kawi. ($2499)
    2.Lesco gear-drive 52" w/17hp kawi. and elec.start.($2599)
    3.Bobcat gear-drive 48'w/15hp kohlar. ($2599)

I am leaning towards the 52'lesco. For the money I think you get more (17hp kawi,electric start). I would definetly like the electric start. Would I have to worry about scalping with the 52" over the 48"? I also plan to use my jungle wheels as well. Now how about the Bobcat is this a better overall machine. I am going to be using this around my home which is 2 acres and for the most part flat. But I would also like the flexability for the future. Who knows maybe I will move or take on some side work doing lawns. The bottom line is I am looking to get the best bang for my buck. But I don't want to sacrifice quality for cost. I would appreciate your opinons.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If I had the 3 choices you have, I would go with the 52" also. When I went from a 50" to 60", I was worried about scalping too, but there was no difference and I hear the 72" isn't any worse than the 60". If you can get the 52" in most of your areas to mow, get the biggest you can get. Electric start is nice on a HOT day. :)
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

get the biggest deck you can afford think Hydro !
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Id see how much the 52" Bobcat is,its a tank.Given your choices,the 52" lesco seems like the best bang,but the bobcat has been around a long time,and is very tough and proven.BTW-Im only 5-10 minutes from you,if you need a mowing in the meantime-write me off line.