1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help- I can't retstart my ZTR after the seat safety mech. turned it off...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncutterupper, Jul 12, 2007.

1. lawncutterupper

lawncutterupper LawnSite Member

Today was my first day ever running a my new Ariens EZR 1640. Im not going to get into what else went wrong but I got off the machine to move a hose and it turned off because of the safety mechinism. I got back on and the engine wont turn over. I was wondering if there was some sort of way to reset it to make it restart. Thanks
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Did you turn the blades off when you got off of it? Is the parking brake on? Handles in the right positions?
  3. GrassyTomm

GrassyTomm LawnSite Member

First make sure that the blade engagement switch is off before attempting to restart teh mower. A mower won't start unless the blades are off.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Check parking brake
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I'm betting on the blade switch as well!
  6. lawncutterupper

The blades are off, the werid thing is when I turn the key it makes a clicking noise like it wants to start, it will also make this sound if I am not sitting down, as well as if the brake is on. Both of which will keep the mower from starting if it were normal cicumstances. Any other ideas?
  7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure the blades are off? On mine when the blades are engaged it clicks. Is the clicking coming from the starter or solenoid?
  8. joe the lawn guy

joe the lawn guy LawnSite Senior Member

thats a relay prob. try turning blades on and off a few times..and brake too
  9. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

is the mower stuck in a customer's lawn? haha
  10. lawncutterupper

It has an electric PTO. Im sure it is in the off position. IV tried everything. Im pretty sure the problem lies in the seat.