HELP... I have gotten in TOO DEEP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JShe8918, Mar 25, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year offering a full service operation. Used to be mow blow edge go. the basics mainly. Well this year i don't have my applicators license so i sub this out to another company in town. Well a new customer called from 40 miles away wanting me to come to her house and give her a estimate for pesticides, pre emergence, post emergence, and fertilization. Wants a yearly contract AND wants me there at 9.30 in the morning tommorrow with prices by two days later. Well how will i get an estimate from my sub contractor for the property with out him driving to look at it??? Also she said that she had a 13 year old grandson inwhich she was going to give first choice to do the cutting and all that jazz. HELP ME.... Have you ever been in a similar situation.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Its your business, you have to know when to say no.

"Sorry you are not in my market area"

"I only provide full service, no mow no spray or fertilize"

"My insurance wont cover applications only. Applications have to be an incidental part of the overall contract otherwise I am classified as a applicator not a lawn service."

Pick your reason to tell her why you are not interested, but your time has value and this woman will likely just waste yours.

3. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

Just forget it. Do you really need it? 40 miles away and you wont make money on the fertilizing and you arent even sure if you are gonna mow the lawn. Number 1 thing that scares me is 40 miles :dizzy::dizzy:

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Going there and back you will lose money on unproductive drive time.

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

tell her you would be more than happy to find a contractor in her area so she does not have to call anybody else. then foward her info to your sub or someone in her area. then you do not just leave it as..."your out of my service area"... JMO

6. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow even i know this is rediculious, i mean come on your going to drive 40 miles just for one fert contract? Boy this lawn better be like 25 acres and not to mention you have to sub it out?? Do you even hear yourself?

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

With gas at over $3.00 a gallon, I wouldn't even consider an account that is 40 miles away. My farthest account is 15 miles away, it is actually 6 accounts that are all together, with 1 drop of the trailer gate. In this business you need to keep windshield time to a minimum. If you really feel you need this account, why can't you measure out??? I used to have a buddy that subbed me out for his fert. till he got licensed. He would measure out properties and bid them. If he got the bid I would go do the fert. His measurements were fairly accurate and never an issue.

8. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

F--- it. Move on to the next one. Not only is she 40 miles away, she also mentioned that her teenage grandson has "first priority" for her lawn. Move on...

9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

R U serious? 40 miles? Grandson? quit now if you have to even ask

10. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

i dont understand how you got in TOO DEEP here just say no. my god, i anticipated someone here would be going backrupt or going to prison. strap on a pair man.