HELP! I need a Sprinkler System in Colo Sprgs

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by SaraG, Oct 6, 2004.

1. SaraG

SaraG LawnSite Member

I need to get a system installed in my backyard asap!! I live in a new build, so I would imagine it would be pretty simple to install. I have called around a bit, but the estimates I am getting are INSANE!!!!!! Can anyone do a cheap install for me?? :dizzy:

2. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

How big is the back yard?? What kind of numbers are you getting quoted?? Most installers around here are getting about $400 a zone. I wouldn't ask for a cheap system b/c you get what you pay for. Someone will come out and put 6 heads in an area that needs 10, then when august comes around you'll be out with your water hose watering your dry spots.

3. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

2k1yzfr1, is absolutely right. If you don't spend the money for a quality system now then you will end up paying a fortune in service and water bills. A well designed system will provide even water distribution and quality components.
    If you need water now I would recommend a garden hose and sprinkler attachment. If you accept a low ball bid it's what you'll end up using anyway.
    Find a good, reliable contractor that does a clean install, and expect to pay a fair price for a good system. :)

Regards,
    Active

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto, Cheap does not equate to quality.

5. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

What should one be looking for in a high quality irrigation system?

BTW---Anyone wanna do an install on long Island? :pumpkin:

GC

6. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

What should a homeowner be looking for in a high quality irrigation system?
    I would imagine the heads, but you prof's know better...thx

GC

7. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

You would want either Hunter PGP or Rainbird 5004 rotors, a good easy to use timer is the Rainbird ESP series, and most importantly head to head coverage. Each one of those rotors should be spaced at 35' max

8. activelandscaping

head to head coverage.

1" Febco ( preferred ) or Wilkins vacuum breaker

valves should be placed together in a valve box. Ex: if you have 6 zones then there would be 3 valves in one Box for the front and 3 valves in another box for the back, or some semblance thereof.

Valves should be out of the way, but still accessible.

Hose bib mounted on discharge side of Vac. Breaker, and a bleeder cap or bib located so the water from the VB to the shutoff inside the house can be drained.

The contract should have a " complete coverage " guarentee and a year warranty on parts and labor, this doesn't mean if you run it over with your car that it will be covered.

contractor uses only 1" polypipe for install after the valve, ( not 1" to half inch or 1" to 3/4 ) and mounts the heads on swing pipe ( funny pipe ).

everything coming out of the house and into the ground should be copper, unless you open the valve box you shouldn't see any PVC pipe.

Valve manifold should be Sch 40 PVC.

Heads should be Hunter PGP's for the rotors, Hunter SRS's for the spray's ( or Rainbird 1800's )

Timer should be: Hunter, Irritrol or Rainbird.

Valves should be: Irritrol (prefered), Rainbird or Hunter ( have had a few problems with the jar-top design)

Fittings should be Grey ( the white nylon fittings are garbage )

Plumbing should be hung securely, and as close to the meter as possible, this can vary due to accessibility issues.

I will post if I think of anything else.

Best of luck
    Active

9. activelandscaping

The install should have a " neat appearance ", you will have some ridges from the pipe puller but boxes should be @ ground level and conscientiously placed ( If you want, or don't want, them in a certain location let them know before they begin the install ).

No exposed poly or PVC pipe and any roots that were pulled up should be cut to ground level or below.
    This does not mean that they will primp and preen every minute detail, a good crew won't have time.

Someone should walk through the system with you and show you how to use it, if their in a hurry this might be a service tech who will come out later. The forman or a crew member should show you that the system is fully functional, however, before asking for payment.:)

Best of luck
    Active

10. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Great write-up and thx!

GC