HELP! I need a trailer and walkbehind!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Neal0301, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

I am looking to get a trailor and walk behind mower. I want used but what is good to get and what should i stay away from? Thanks for your insight!

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

get a toro walkbehind with tbar control like the one in the pic. its a 2003 with 52" proline deck. dont get pistol grips!

3. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

OK. whats bad about pistol grips?

4. DillonsLawnCare

they give you carpel tunnel and hurt your wrists and hands. tbar's the way to go. i picked my mower up for 1850 last last october. look between oct. and feb. thats when everyones selling/buying. and it depends on what size you want width wise. 52" is pretty good for acres and is great for smaler yards. tell me what you think.

5. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

OK sounds good. Im 16 and just do trimming right now and brush removal. I want to expand and take over full service. My uncle has a business in louisville ky so i have experience from him and my own work as well.

Do you have any idea how much a trailer would cost me.
    Room for 52 or so inch walk behind
    1 Stihl Weed eater
    1 Backpack blower
    and the ocasional hatchet :hammerhead: :weightlifter:

Basically enough room to carry my stuff and not be too much. What do you use?

6. DillonsLawnCare

ohh...well the walkbehind will porbably around $2000 to $3000. my 52" fits on a 5' wide trailer. so you could pick one of those up for around $500. shop smart though. get the gate cause when your'e unloading. it feels weird with a tilt trailer and harder to control. dont get tilt trailer. for weed-eater, i bought mine for $320 and its prof. if you go to stihl.com, find a dealer near you and go check 'em out. ask them whats prof. and get your price. i dont know much about stihl. but a backpack blower like what i got was like 250$ on ebay, it retailed for $350. you could get one a little less powerful than mine for about $200. so your looking at $3000 dollars. but buy your weedeater and blower new and the mower used. and pay cash up front. haggle with the guy. so $3000 and then gas/gascans/other crap so to be safe, have $4000 in your pocket. you might be able to get al that stuff for cheaper. do lots of research and ask around. thanks... hope i could help!

7. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

You helped a lot. I just bought we weedeater the other day. A Stihl fs90 and already paid it off working 3 days. I probably wont be starting my lawn care stuff until next year anyway. So that gives me the off season to find a mower.

Thanks for your help. Ill keep ya posted on what i do.

8. DillonsLawnCare

ok... thanks...i hope i could have helped...KEEP ME POSTED...cyah and good luck!!!

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Check Lowes for trailers...they have a really nice one with a split gate in the rear (So if you just needed to remove a 21" dont have to lift both gates) and also another gate at front of trailer on right side...I think it was around $1350. It appeared that this trailer was made for a landscaper.

10. S.W.T.1975

S.W.T.1975 LawnSite Member

I've heard that small mom and pop trailer dealers can actually give better deals than the big chain places; I've seen several 'dealers' in Virginia that sell them at their house. It's just a thought, and it won't hurt to ask.