1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help,,,, I need accounts!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by z71lawncare, Jul 6, 2004.

1. z71lawncare

z71lawncare LawnSite Member

I have maybe 15 sub-divisions within a 5 mile radius of me,here in Georgia. Paulding County to be exact,is in the top 5 counties in the United States in growth.Here's my question,how do I go about getting some of these accounts in sub-divisions? I have been putting my business cards on mailboxes.I have put out maybe 250 ,,,,,,and I've got 3 regular accounts. What am I doing wrong????
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

instead of putting business cards on mailboxes put actual fliers on mailboxes, or even in peoples doors. Make sure they look good.

3. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Try advert in local paper. I have 200 accounts and only
    have 1 ad 1 day a week, its cheap and i still pic up at least
    5/6 new ones a week good luck
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi z71lawncare,

Consider handing out the flyers on weekends and saying hi to your potential customers. That might give them a chance to see why they would want to use your services.
  5. kagan

kagan LawnSite Member
    from Florida

One thing I learned in business school was that on average only 1% of individuals reply to ads. I'm not saying don't advertise, I'm saying you must advertise. Business cards in mailboxes are fine if you want a few accounts. If you have the means to transport your equipment across town then advertise in small local papers to start. Ask the newspaper or magazine rep what their advertisement radius is. Is it 25 miles? 50 miles? How many homes on average do they deliver to? Think of it this way...newspapers and magazines work for you, not the other way around. They should be able to give you demograhics, etc., on where the magazine/newspaper is distributed. Let's say you are charged $100 for a 1/4 page ad in a local newspaper that reaches 30,000 households. Well, based on the 1% return theory, that's an estimated 300 calls you may be getting from prospects wanting to do business with you. Well worth the $100 ad price. Hey, time is money. Personally, I'd rather take the risk and spend $100 advertising than driving around putting business cards in mailboxes. Plus, image is important. Customers tend to trust companies more who place professional looking & well done ads. Trust me, it works.
    Also, try getting a list of new residents in your area and send them a letter in the mail welcoming them to the community and insert your companies magnet. If you don't have a company magnet, have one made. It's cheap. Make sure it has the company name and telephone number in large font. You will be amazed at how many customers you will get from doing this. You can get a list of new residents from your local courthouse for free or you can get a list on pre-printed mailing labels from many local marketing companies. Your local magazine or newspaper rep may have a contact for you to get this info. There's alot of money to be made out there in property maintenance. Go get it.:)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

One method I've used that works well and is cheap is to advertise is a neighborhood newsletter. A lot of subdivisions will put out a monthly newsletter, usually costs me $10 or so per month. I'm always surprised at the number of calls I get from them.
  7. kagan

kagan LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Yes, neighborhood newsletters are great, too. I've also advertised in local church bulletins. It's cheap, you help support local congregations, and you'll get accounts. If you have a local chamber of commerce, ask about networking meetings. Some chambers hold quarterly networking meetings where business owners come together, talk about their business and what they offer. Most often these meetings are free. Always big wigs in these meetings who know everyone in the community and have ties. You may be able to land commmercial accounts by mingling with people at chamber networking meetings.
  8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing to do is saturate your name to your customers. I hand out fliers year round...Well am going to. This is my 1st year, but i took a small break from handing out fliers, and no calls..>

Well i printed off a couple more thousand fliers and got two calls today

9. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

just flyer the crap out of neighborhoods...i do this for about a week at the beginning of every season and the results are awsome
  10. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

What I did this year was offer new customers in my sub division a low rate with a 6 mth contract. Made it for a limited time. picked up some new customers from the flyer's and then word of mouth from their neighbors. Hope this helps.