Help. I need equipment advice badly.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vikingcompany, Sep 9, 2006.

1. vikingcompany

vikingcompany LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I am looking to get into lawn care and have a 16' box Ford E-450 deisel cube van. Do you guys think this vehicle okay for lawn care? Do any of you guys use cube vans? It is a bit of a pig on fuel but then again what truck is not. I could change the undercariage slide in ramp configuration so that a riding mower can drive up into it. At least it is good advertising. Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks, Alex

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

they make fine lawn trucks. Thier are companies that make ramp systems for these. It is well worth buying one. The problem with the slide in ramp, is that for it to fit between the frame rails it will be VERY sketchy for driving mowers up the ramp. We tried that route with a cube van a few years ago.... WAY too dangerous...

we were goint to buy a ramp kti for it ( about $2K), but the drivetrain fell apart, so we got rid of it.

3. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Do a seach on vans, there are quite a number. We use two box trucks for our lawn mowing.We are only at 14 ft but with no wheel wells it is amasing what we can fit into one.Tools ,blowers,trimmers hang on the wall,tool box xtra parts,air tank etc are on a shelf.When I load heavy I have a 52" scag rider ,two 52" w/b's and a 21" mower,a bit tight but doeable.I have a 60"wide by 10 ' ramp for my truck and two individual ramps for the w/b only truck.
    SLT,I think they are a sponser here,look at their website and get some ideas.

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I see many new contractors have gone that route. I have heard nothing but good about them, if you have a good ramp.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Check the pictures section, somebody put up pictures of there new super lawn truck (SLT) early this season.

If you don't find a good ramp, maybe look into getting a tommy gate or maxum hydrollic lift for the back of it.