Help! I need the worlds best blade spindle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastEddie, Mar 14, 2001.

1. FastEddie

FastEddie LawnSite Member

I'm designing something that requires a spindle but I can't tell you what it is so lets just say the requirements are the same as if it were going to be used as a mower blade spindle.
    The questions I have are as follows:
    1. who's brand spindle lasts the longest and about how many hours would it last? (assuming it were greased when/if needed)

2. is it a greasable spindle or is a sealed non-greasable unit?

3. if you know...does it have tapered bearings or ball bearings?

4. If they are tapered bearings are they Timken brand?

5. how long is the MFG warranty?

6. Does the blade bolt go through the whole spindle shaft (nut on top) or does it thread into the shaft?

Thanks so much for the help!

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What, are you building a BATTLE BOT?

I have some cool ideas for parts from a lawnmower that would work well in designing an awesome bot.

All the questions that you asked have many possible answers. Maybe if we knew the usage, we could help out better.

3. A longest blade I can think of is 32" from a 32" toro.

With the drive wheels on the bottom of the machine and
    the mower blades spining on the top could have some
    bot potential.

4. FastEddie

FastEddie LawnSite Member

again, assume it is a mower. 19,000 fpm tip speed or about 4000 rpm. I just want to know what type blade spindle lasts the longest.
    Since not many people can say what lasts longest (because you would need to have experience with each type/brand) I need to gather data from many people who at least know how long thiers lasts.

5. If you want the best I suggest you go with toro.

They have Greaseable Timken bearings.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The ones on Dixie Chopper aren't to bad. I have a mower with 3,236 hours on it and 2 of the 3 spindle bearings are original. These are greaseable, but I'm not sure of the brand name of bearings. They are housed in a cast iron housing and it has a 1 1/4" shaft. The blades are bolted into the spindle shaft. I have had 4 Choppers and I only replaced this one bearing set on the one spindle. They were a fuz loose from the day I got it. I hope this helps a bit.

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Eric your bearings sound like the Timken roller bearings which Toro uses, I bet your Cast-iron housings dont have ball-bearings.And i still think that the greaseable bearings are far better that sealed. Marks Mowing Service

8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Tapered roller bearings - defintely greasable are the way to go (from lots of experience). Timken bearings are generally pretty good bearings. If you need a bearing supplier, I can give you the names of some of the ones we use. Being in the Motor City, we have access to lots of industrial suppliers/info that I'd be happy to share - let me know. Good Luck.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I would think the Toro has the best spindle assembly,because of the tapered rooler bearings.I have experience with Dixie design and Steiners deck spindles only,the Steiners spindles are Ok at best,the Dixie spinldes are much better. Dixie Chopper's look like a good design,the spindle itself looks like a work of art,beatiful machining,and strong,the housing is heavy duty,and well built,but they use cheap made in China import ball bearings.With a bearing change,this is probably the best your going to get with ball bearings.

10. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

What type of load requirements are on this spindle. Is the spindle running vertically like a mower or horizontally. These questions make a big difference as far as a recommendation. A spindle with ball bearings if not made right can be a nightmare. Especially if the bearings are from China. Many bad experiences with that but if replaced with good US bearings there shouldn't be to many problems. I would also stick with a spindle that has the blade mount into the shaft. Much easier for changing blades. Kinda curious as to what application you will be using this spindle.
    mowingmachine