1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help!! I put down the wrong bag of fertizizer!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by m0i0k0e, Mar 12, 2006.

1. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

I went to home depot and thought I was buying 3 bags of Lesco Pre-Emergent fertilizer, but I accidentally picked up a brand name called All-American. It is Lawn and Garden Fertilizer 5-10-5 for lawns, vegetables and shrubs. The bag is the same color as the Lesco, and was mixed in with the Lesco! Anyway, I put it down with a Scott's "EdgeGuard" spreader at the setting of 6. It was a 40 lbs bag.

The question is, what do I do now that it's on my lawn? Do I put the Lesco Pre-Emergent down which is 19-0-7 or do I have to wait until a certain amount of time has passed? The problem is, I put that bag on one side of my lawn and the correct Lesco stuff on the other side!! I know, I should have looked more closely. :(

All American - Fertilizer (All ready on lawn):
    5% Nitrogen
    10% Phosphate
    5% Potash

Lesco Pre-Emergent(want to add to the lawn):
    19% Nitrogen
    0% Phosphate
    7% Potash

If I add it now I would have a total of:

24% Nitrogen
    10% Phosphate
    12% Potash

Can I do it?

This is a bad way to start of the season....

Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

You're probably fine. There's not enough Nitrogen in what you put down for you to need to worry about burning the grass. I'm not sure how heavy setting 6 is on your spreader, though. If you're worried about it, just go to your local LESCO store and buy a bag of Dimension 0-0-7 or Pre-M 0-0-7. That way you can apply the preemergent without fert and you're completely safe, although I don't think you have that much to worry about anyways.
  3. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

Thats' what I was hoping, but I figured I atleast ask the question!
    i'm going to puit down the Lesco.

Thanks for the quick reply JWTurfguy!
  4. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Home Depot sells Lesco products? That's a new one for me....
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

YOu can reduce the rate slightly and put the lesco on right over the other stuff. to get the smae total of N but the 5% isn't going to make a big difference.
  6. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

on some things they are cheaper too
  7. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

Yea, I noticed they started selling Lesco products last fall here in Maryland.
  8. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I posted a long explanation of the following, but it didn't post????
    You actually will only be putting down a "mixture" of 12-5-6. Remember those numbers reflect the % of a certain ingredient based upon the total weight of the bag
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If he's putting down 12-5-6 but at what rate? At 10 lbs per K? You don't know how much he was putting down at 5-10-5, and now he's coming on top with 19-0-7. I would buy the Dimension, wait until late April, then apply it. I think you could do more damage then good right now. Dimension can be applied later than other pre-ems. How big is your lawn? Did you put all 3 bags of All-American down?
  10. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Natty, you are correct about the watching the rate,my figures are based on weight and ingredients only. If he took both bags and dumped them together, then set his spreader at x, he is only putting down 12-5-6 per xft2. My point was not to worry about how "hot" the fertilzer was.
    I agree with Paul and JW,I don't think he should worry about the "hotness" of the "mix",you can usually put down a much "hotter" fertilizer and not worry.(depending on the rate of course)