Help: I think I have brown patch

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TnT, Jul 24, 2003.

1. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

I think I have brown patch or summer patch at one of the properties that I have. I did a fertilizer application on 6-3-03 of 32-3-5 / 50% and the property has been looking great up until today. Last week the property was starting to dry up and we thought that they should have been watering. Last week they quit watering and it has not rained for about 2 weeks. When they did water it seemed like it had been over watered (irragation was on and it was raining at the same time) and that they also have poor drainage on the property. With the high humidity and hot temps. these last 2 weeks Iam sure this plays a factor. Is this my fault? Will this problem take care of it's self? It's too big to apply a fungiacide. Your help please.

Thanks, TNT

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Where ya from? might be able ta help ya......

Revise your profile....:rolleyes:

3. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

Ames, Iowa. Sorry, I will update profile asap.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What type of grass?

5. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

kentucky blue grass

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Without a picture it is hard to diagnose. Even with a picture, it can be hard to diagnose. You can check turf diseases here: http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/#turf , and possibly ID it yourself.

The way I learn to ID disease problems in turf is to hand carry a sample to someone locally who is knowledgeable, or send it into the diagnostic lab at Purdue. I believe all state land grant universities that run an extension program also have a diagnostic lab.

7. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

If it is brown patch will it take care of it on it's own? Do I need to tell them to start watering it twice a week? Maybe water it every other day. Just in the mornings, or no water at all so that it doesn't spread.

8. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

brown patch is more commonly found in turf type fescue.... summer patch in blue grass... make sure the area has ample time to dry out between watering, sell and overseed and aeration in the fall to get new diasease resistant varieties of grass in there, and sell a preventive fungicide in the spring and late fall. Turn the problems into sales and make more $.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

to help diagnose disease on warm season turf I will pull slowly on one blade. If it pulls out from the leaf sheath it is because that turf plant is diseased. If the blade breaks off then I look at possible chemical burn. Chemical burn and fungus will give the same outward appearance. With so many swimming pool in my area we get a lot of chemical burn from overflow.

Classic Brown patch or Rhizocotonia solani is only one brown patch. There are many more Rhizocotonias however most can be treated the same. Keep records and note these yards or spots because Brown patch will be back next year. Best Management Practices calls for preventive treatment next season. It is my understanding of IPM that you don't treat until you see the brown patch next year.

I am not quite sure where to draw the line between IPM and BMP (best management practices). Maybe someone can clear up this for me?????? I believe BMP uses IPM but goes a step to the left to include preventive treatments. In both cases, impact on the environment is reduced.