help ID Grass weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by travtele615, Apr 17, 2005.

1. travtele615

travtele615 LawnSite Member

Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it. I've looked at a couple of different weed sites that I've found and couldn't tell for sure. Location is Nashville TN if that helps.

Thanks for the time.
    Travis

trtgrass.jpg

2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like crabgrass to me.

3. travtele615

that was my one of my thoughts but wasn't sure. Is there anything that can be done at this point to eradicate it, or am I better off waiting until next spring to use a Pre-M.

The front yard is extremely thick with this ( a clump every 2 to 3 sq ft probably) and I don't want it getting any thicker if I can help it.

Thanks
    Travis

4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a lesco dealer nearby go and ask for their three way post-em. It is their brand of trimec.

5. travtele615

thanks!

Travis

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't believe its crabgrass it looks more like Tall Fescue, Festuca arundinacea

If you could get a close up of the ligule and stems I could be sure. Lesco has a product called Corsair to control intrusions of tall fescue

7. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

It looks too prostrate, but it also looks similar to OrchardGrass. As SodKing said, a close up of the lingual and collar, would help to identify it.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is just matted down. I was thinking orchard grass as well but whereas he said is was growing in definite clumps I leaned toward a tall fescue intrusion. The blade width also made me lean towards Tall Fescue. What we know for sure is its not crabgrass.

9. travtele615

hey guys,
    Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it

Here's another pic for you to look at.

Thanks again
    Travis

close up.jpg

10. travtele615

here's a couple more pics

Thanks