Help id this fungus

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn is in full sun, grass is mostly kentucky blue grass with some rye.
    The disease/fungus from 5' away looks like grey/black blotches. Close up it looks like this dots on the grass.

We have had lots of rain. They have not watered in a while. 50% slow release fert applied 5 weeks ago.

th_IMG_7257_zps203902d1.jpg

th_IMG_7258_zps1effd0ed.jpg

th_b5d1d1f0-edee-411f-bf99-0134a8ea4d2a_zpsa6bb5afc.jpg

2. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

smut mold.

3. mikesturf

Yes, that is it! Thanks. Just found lots more info on it on the Purdue turfgrass website.

Been doing lawn care for 8 years and I have never seen this before.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Just for our benefit,,, how is the drainage???

The grass also looks a little long with all those blades folded over on top of a neighbor...

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Usually called "slime mold". Needs very warm and wet conditions. Seldom causes any actual damage to grass. It grows on the grass for support without actually injuring the grass in any way. At times it forms a black dirty powder as it becomes dry. You can rinse it off with a strong stream of water--or brush it off with a stiff broom.

6. mikesturf

I'm guessing the grass is 4.5 inches high. I tell them to keep it mowed now less than 3 inches. They put in new sod 3 years ago. Excellent drainage.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi Mike, we have not seen slime mold here for over a month when the rains stopped & the heat rolled in. It always goes away fairly quickly on it's own. Had it in my lawn too. On KBG as well as tall fescue. It lasted less than 2 weeks. When customers call, we check it to make sure, then we just leave an Iowa State fact sheet. Pretty much, folks just want to know what it is, and will it kill their lawn. lol

We have received less than 0.3 inches of rain during the past 5 weeks. Heat index then exceeded 100 degrees. That pretty much put a stop to slime mold. More recently, it's been pythium, summer patch, and brown patch.

8. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Slime mold is the proper term not smut mold. Just wondering if it would be noticed for Brown patch is still used by most who post even though it is now referred to as Large patch. But who's counting.