1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help id this grasssy weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by livingsoils, Aug 12, 2007.

1. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

Any thought on what this is? The lawn that it is in was a pasture about 5 years ago. it is a blue/rye stand of turf and this was always there in the back ground. this year it starting taking over the lawn. If you know any control methods let me know. Pre-emergents do not work on it.

weed id grass.jpg

weed id grass 4.jpg

weed id grass 5.jpg
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What are the characterisics of the plant? Pics don't show us much!
    Please describe the following:
    Leaf surface
    Root system
    Seed head

These are the things needed to be able to ID the plant.
  3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Crabgrass from seed head and plant shape
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto on crabgrass
  5. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

CREECH !!!!!!!!!!
    I mean I agree with you on the picture thing but Geeeeez, dude C'mon. Oh, okay, didn't have your glasses on, I understand.
    Digitaria sanguinalis commonly known as Large or Hairy crabgrass.
  6. turfnh2oman

Drive at label rate.

The End.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

He stated that it was in a pasture and that Pre's didn't work. That along with not exactly great photos confused me, and I wanted more info before I guessed. I won't make a guess unless I am over 75% sure! I don't like ID ing grasses without this info. I seen part of the seedhead, but wasn't enough for me to guess yet.

Sorry I am not as good at IDing poor digital photos as you are! Anyway I wear contacts!

I have even looked at photos in my weed id books and sometimes don't even look that clear. Nothing like looking at the real thing!

My point is.....if you are trying to ID something, it is best to provide the characteristics of the plant and not just a photo (as sometimes the photos on here are not very clear).
  8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

With all due respect, NO all those things are not needed To ID a weed Are you serious? you need more than that perfectly clear picture to id the weed as crab grass? I don't mean to sound rude but please.......
  9. turfnh2oman

Granted creech, and agree with the point of your last post.
    Hey did you get any rain yesterday or didn't it make it that far north? Had the wrath of God blow thru here yesterday and half of No. Ky. and Indiana.
    You know the kind of rains we get, 2.5 inches in an hour. All runoff, no help really. Just enough to make it muggier for a couple of days and increase pythium.
  10. turfnh2oman

I think creech was pushing his point as a lesson more than saying that those things were absolutely necessary on everything ????

Just my opinion.:waving: