Help ID This Problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mwdesign1, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mwdesign1

mwdesign1 LawnSite Member

This is a photo taken today 3-18-08. Can you ID the problem. I dethatched today and exposed bare soil beneath these track marks. Is this a mole problem?

Turf: Fescue / Bluegrass / Rye
    Problem Areas: Perimeter of Property at Several Locations

These areas did not show signs of problems in the fall and have been covered by snow most of the winter.

Thanks For the Help

Turf ID-1.jpg

Turf ID-2.jpg

Turf ID-3.jpg
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Shrews. This is very common...especially near field and ditch areas. This will heal right up and close up once the grass starts growing.
  3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, shrews is my guess, have seen it a few times here. throw a little seed over and rake in, problem solved
  4. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

cloverfield monster damage. call in the army.
  5. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like vole damage to me. Ive never heard of a shrew? Are they big down south? Are they the same as a vole?
  6. mwdesign1

mwdesign1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies and information.

Moles, Shrews, Voles

There are no raised tunnels so this probably eliminates moles.

Voles is my guess due to the surface paths and turf damage.

I am not familiar with shrews in this area.
  7. magland

magland LawnSite Member

It's voles. They tunnel in the grass above the soil under the snow. You don't see the damage until the snow is gone. The only shrews around here are some of my customers.
  8. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

I vote for VOLES!!
  9. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Well boys it looks like the VOLES have it....YAHHAHHA. I find the 12ga using a moderate load of 00 buck should solve any further issues, so should encounter.
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Voles (aka Meadow mice). Lots of "evidence" here too cuz we had nearly four months of snow cover. By now they have migrated to the woods, and after the first mowing or so, you won't even know you had 'em. No need to rake or do anything.