Help ID this weed please!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by smallstripesnc, Aug 17, 2013.

1. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I've been seeing this yellowish weed pop up all over recently and can't seem to find what it is.

[​IMG]

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Doveweed! I presently only have 2 lawns out of hundreds that have this weed. It has spread in them. Celsius is the only herbicide that I know of with doveweed on the label. It is a real PITA.

Enjoy....

4. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Button weed. Good luck.

5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Does look more like button weed

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I got to thinking the same right after I had posted. Have you seen any of the clumps like this that might have an extremely small white flower or 2 in the clumps. If you're seeing any with flowers, It is virginia buttonweed not doveweed.

I am about to go spray the 2 lawns I have with doveweed on Monday. They are across the street neighbors to each other. Maybe I can quarantine their cul de sac :laugh:

Point is, I don't get to see much doveweed. It does seem that it grows much "tighter" than buttonweed and the leaves are more slim than buttonweed. The flowers would be a dead giveaway.

7. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking buttonweed as soon as I saw it. All of my buttonweed has already flowered though so it's easy to identify my problems with it.